Nasty Telmex Surprise

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,197 / 14
    I would normally but this was a little tiny place, just retired expats there (including my Dad, which is why I went). All the bars and restaurants with wifi closed at midnight. I just wanted to check a few things from my room. I only used about 15 minutes worth.

If only it were that simple! It's the endless phonecalls my wife would have to make to numpties at Telcel who wouldnt have any idea what she was talking about, or the 90 minute queues at the Telcel office never seeing the same person twice and being told to come back next week or that the person I need was on lunch break.

I'd rather eat the cost and concentrate my time on other things.

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went to NYC and got back to find my next bill was $3,200. I was putting the phone on Airplane Mode except while I was doing the same thing Steve was doing. Many times I was in a Starbucks where I know I was on WIFI.

Telhell is ripping us off incredibly. With a virtual monopoly there is nothing we can really do. The fed govt needs to deregulate the cell phone industry big time.

3. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve:
    I understand the situation in Greece completely since when I was there last year I had the same issue. Not many places with Wi Fi and they closed early. Glad my hotel had it though.

As for Telmex, well it really is your call. I personally would have them do all possible to research this for me. But I do understand the typical Mexican method of getting you off their back and eatling your money the same time.

4. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2
    They have the technology to prompt you to accept the charges before you connect and give you the rates, but they rather rip you off. Just wrong.

5. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Funny, I've never had a single issue with Telcel. Oh, wait, maybe it's because I don't own a cell phone of any kind. Yes, there are still a few of us left.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some of you guys are using Telmex when I think you mean Telcel, aka Telhell.

They are two different companies. Telmex is land lines and internet service.

Telhell is cellular. Telhell is a virtual monopoly so they just tighten the screws on the 95 or so of all the cell service in Mexico. Owned by Carlos Slim who rivals Bill Gates annually for the world's richest human.

Last time I noticed any news, Slim owned 22% ro 26% of Telmex and was going to end up owning it all. Telmex customers will soon be screwees.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice