Nasty Telmex Surprise

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    So, I was recently in Greece and since I couldn't find a decent Internet connection used my Telcel iPhone to check a few things online from my hotel room.

I checked my email and Facebook a couple of times, also my Pm's here. After 2 days it stopped working and I couldn't connect. I arrive back to Cancun try to make a call and my service has been suspended.

Find out that 50Mb of data roaming usage in Greece - yes 50 Mb (about enough to watch a 10 min youtube video) has run up a bill of 6,500 pesos! They reconnected me after I paid half of that, still need to pay the other half.

No wonder Carlos Slim is so rich! Lesson learned.

2. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do as we do in the US and contest the charge. Tell them you thought it was using wi fi and not roaming charges. That may get the bill reduced or even waived in some cases.

3. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Telmex reducing a bill!! Nice thought, that made me chuckle!

Sorry to hear that Steve, just think he's got all that money and he still can't give us over 10mb internet in Cancun or digital anything!

4. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    We paid the bill today. They said that 60% of the charge was levied by the Greek telecoms operator and only 40% from them. They could research to verify the charge but it would take weeks or maybe months to get details from Greece and while I waited I'd have no service at all.

Ironically, today I got a text message from Telmex offering 500MB for 299 pesos to be used locally. That makes my 50MB roaming for 6500 pesos over two hundred times more expensive.

5. gabesz

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would still ask them to research from Greece. Even if it took months you never know and get some money back.

6. gabesz

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey unless you ask you never know. The worst thing that can happen is everything stays the same. It really is worth asking since you know the ultimate result.

7. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Problem with that is they'll shut off my service until it's resolved and I need my phone.

8. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The best thing to do is to always get a hotel with a good internet connection and talk free.

9. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good luck with being caught between Greece AND Mexico when it comes to get stuff done :D

10. gabesz

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is true, but now the phone is back on and you have paid, ask them to research it anyway. Who knows they could end up owing you money. Its worth the try. Plus they do all the work and you don't have to worry about the phone being shut off.

And indeed you shoud use wi fi when in places such as Greece vs. roaming. It will save all this headache.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice