My story..

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Drew2cancun, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Drew2cancun

Drew2cancun Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello all,
    I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself. I have travelled to cancun several times and found my fav hotel to be the gp. (I have likely been there at the same time as some of you!

Abit about myself i have a great job all the way up in canada that is very difficult to obtain and offers me alot. It is kind of a blessing and a curse at the same time because it offers a high wage benifits and a great pension. Only problen is it is not in cancun.

Now im contiplating either quitting or taking a 6 month to a year leave and living out my dream of relocation.

I may run a trial phase soon and spend a month in cancun (vacation time from work)

Has anyone done this and wishes to offer advice/support/criticism?

Thanks for reading :)

Btw its -30 with snow right now

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I'd always recommend not to burn any bridges back home. Especially, if you have a good job, then definitely take advantage of any benefits your employer may offer such as long term unpaid leave.

I was in a similar position before I moved to Cancun. Reasonably well paid job, with great benefits, great pension, 36 days leave a year plus whatever I built up on flexitime.

My employer had a scheme whereby you could take a year off. Unpaid obviously, but you could return to the same job on the same salary 12 months later. It took quite a bit of work and hassle to get approved but they knew if they didn't approve me I'd quit anyway.

The approval made taking the gamble that much easier. Although I was 95% sure I'd make it in Cancun and not need to return to my old job it was nice to know the cushion was there.

That was almost 10 years ago.
    --------

If you've not got a job in Cancun to go to or your own business you can run from Cancun it can be tough to find a good income. Very tough. Living here is not like a holiday here. Also research Visa requirements for working here, they are not straightforward either.

But overall I would encourage anyone to take chances in life and see if they work out, you dont want to look back in 10 years and say I wonder what would have happened if. You only have one life, make it the best you can - ughh cliche!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice