My first trip to Cancun, here is my post-trip report!

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by No Hype, Mar 21, 2008.

1. No Hype

No Hype Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey everybody! My name is Alex and I live in NY. This was my first trip to Cancun along with my friend Tom. We stayed at the Grand Oasis, in the pyramid, from March 17th to March 20th. Here is an account of our trip, I will post Day 2 and Day 3 tomorrow after I get some much needed sleep!

Day 1:
    I went to bed early on Sunday, at around 9pm, because I had to wake up really early on Monday to get to the airport since it was an international flight. Being extremely anxious, I wasn’t able to get a good night’s sleep but this was completely ok. I woke up at 3:00am and had breakfast and finished packing up. Headed out the door at 4:00am to pick up Tom and then head to JFK airport for our 6:00am flight. The airport was EMPTY. Tom and I were two of ten people in the entire terminal. We stole two copies of the Wall Street Journal for the curbside for our entertainment as we had to wait 30 minutes until we could check-in. Check-in and security took about 10 minutes and we were at the gate waiting for our flight at 5:00am. We boarded the plane at 5:30am and the flight took off as planned. We dozed off for the flight to Atlanta since we needed to get rested for the long day. The transfer at Atlanta was a piece of cake; we had Qdoba while waiting as a final hurrah meal in the States before we had junky hotel food. The flight from Atlanta to Cancun was quick and painless. The Cancun terminal was brand new and customs was extremely quick. Finding our transfer was also no problem; we were out of the plane and in the van in about 30 minutes. When we got to our hotel, we were amazed at how empty the Grand Oasis was. The difference between the Grand Oasis and the Oasis Cancun is very apparent. Check-in took about five minutes; we got out black wristbands and hotel map and keys and headed to the room. The first order of business was to raid the mini-bar. I pounded the first beer of the trip, a Modelo, in about 3 gulps. Things were on track! We finished up the three beers very quickly and were looking for our next fix. After unpacking we ran down to the pool and it’s respective bars. The bar drinks were really weak; they served Corona Familiar, the Mexican version of Corona Especial here in the States. The mixed island drinks like Pina Coladas and Daiquiris were very under dosed and there was no bite of rum. We had no idea how people actually got drunk during the day at these wet bars. It was the running joke of the trip while we watched guys and girls get smashed off wet bar drinks. For the rest of the day until the wet bars closed up at 6:00pm we were double fisting beers, but alas after around 8 beers each nothing happened. I met this nice fellow named Jeremy, he asked if I was in the Corps and we ended up talking about that. After walking around and figuring out the complex, we headed back to the room at 6:00pm. We showered up and headed down to find some dinner. We ended up at the “international buffet.” While waiting on line, we had this group of three girls behind us, one with a really raspy voice from the night before. I turned around and jokingly asked “where the hell were you last night?” After about five minutes of chatting we invited them to join us for dinner and we all got in. The food there was very Stevens-esque and not something I could stomach for days on end. The girls we met were Sam, Ali and Diane. They were all from Edison, New Jersey and went to school at Rutgers. We talked about New Jersey and what they did so far. They were nice but nothing transpired from the encounter. After dinner, we split ways and Tom and I darted to the Oasis Phase I to catch the “Party Hopper” bus while was supposed to leave at 8:10pm. While waiting we met up with Tom’s friend Lisa and here friends. They were staying in the Oasis Cancun Phase III. We chatted it up for 5 or so minutes and then they had to go catch their bus. Our bus left the hotel at like 9:00pm; everything was much disorganized and poorly done. Tom tipped our “guide” a twenty in hopes of getting quick drinks. Little did we realize this was an error. The first bar of the three was “Corona Bar” which also happened to be our trusty standby for the rest of the trip. The first girl I saw in the club when we got in I asked to dance and of course got the friend excuse. After a few rejects I found a fun girl named Thea who was also from New Jersey! She was a really good dancer and we ended up setting up shop on the elevated dance floor. After about three songs of dancing we started making out. We were hooking up for like 10 or so minutes on and off and then we split up (she was staying at a different hotel). The next girl I grabbed, Jill, was staying at the Oasis. We made out for probably the same amount of time as I made out with Thea and then she had to run to catch her bar hopper bus. She probably would have fucked that night, but I wasn’t about to run after the second girl I hooked up with. The next girl I encountered, I didn’t even try and get her name. We made out for only a song and then I hopped off the stage and went to go find Tom. The bar was starting to thin out so we decided to go to the next bar, Senor Frogs, to see how that was. Senor Frogs sucked. Period. We literally walked into the club, walked through the crowd, and walked right out. The place was wall-to-wall crowded and nobody was dancing. Since we had to wait until midnight to get into The City, we walked around Downtown Cancun and ripped on people. At midnight we got into The City along with all the other bar hoppers. The City has a max capacity of around 6,000 people, that night it was probably ¾ full. We were placed on the third floor looking down onto the main floor. Nobody from the bar hopper was dancing or having any fun so we took matters into our own hands; we went down the main floor and danced. We danced with a few different girls, nothing transpired and at this point we were exhausted. So at 1:30am we headed out back to the hotel. Hearing about the famous pizza guys, we flagged down a Pizza Hut scooter guy and haggled down from $14.00 to $10.00. At this point we had the bright idea to walk back to the hotel as we ate the pizza. We did not realize the hotel was about 5 miles away from the Downtown area. After a Baton Death March in sandals, we got back to the hotel at 3:00am. After a quick shower, I laid down and immediately passed out. Tom said once he got out of the shower, I was sprawled out on the bed in the same exact way I fell down onto the bed. This was 24 hours after we woke up to head to the airport. A new record for me in terms of time awake and time drinking; we drank from 3:00pm straight until 3:00am. So 12 hours of drinking coupled with 24 hours of being awake leads to a very tired guy. So far Cancun lived up to every expectation and was in retrospect the craziest night in Cancun.

2. DConCT

DConCT CC's SB Godfather Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Excellent report sir...

Some words of advice.... even at the Oasis... if you want the booze, you gotta tip. I went there for a day, Joe had tipped a guy and I did as well and was double fisting double Bacardi Anejo pina coladas for the afternoon.

The party hopper seems like a good idea, but when you are staying in the Oasis complex you don't need a bar tour... just hang out by the pool and meet the people... you'll hear what events are going on and where the people are going... go to one club and get f'd up.

And that thing about chasing the second chick you made out with... what's wrong with that? It's cancun! If you want it, go get it. Who knows.. it's not a bad thing to have a cute chick at your hotel as an option.

Last thing... you gotta go to cancun for at least a week... it's just not fair to yourself to do less.

Thanks for taking the time

3. No Hype

No Hype Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the advice. Being that it was our 1st trip to Cancun, we really wanted to do as much stuff as possible. We both realized by Day 3 that our trip was way way way too short to do everything.

For any of you wondering why the report is so long and typed out like an inner monologue, its because this will be my trip journal; I am just dumping all my thoughts out into it so I can remember the little things in the years ahead.

4. Tacoma101

Tacoma101 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great one day trip report! Detailed as all hell. You will value it years from now when you look back on it.

And yeah, Dennis is right. Going to Cancun for 3 days is no where close to enough time to get all the work done thats required.

There is always 2009........

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice