My dream is to move to Cancun, I have no idea where to begin. Help por favor!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Kasidy, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Kasidy

Kasidy Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Matkirk hit exactly what I'm going for right there. I am extremely young, only 19, but ever since I can remember I've always had big dreams of being out in the world on my own. I understand it's going to be one of the most difficult dreams to pursue, but I want that challenge. If it doesn't work of course I'll head back home and start figuring out my next big plan, but as of right now my heart is set on doing this!

I already have a few thousand saved up and of course I'll save up much more so I know that no matter what I will be GOOD when I'm down there.

NO i'm not going down for a boy!! (That would be nice, haha) I want to do this for the experience, for the challenge, discovering something new about the world. and NO not for the party atmosphere, don't get me wrong, the clubs were tons of fun, but most definitely not the reason for wanting to live there. There are plenty of fun parties in the USA

All the info about how hard it is getting a job is heart breaking, I've done some online research and found some job hirings in Cancun online which i'm currently fixing up my resume to send in.

Hablo espanol un poco but I'm currently learning!! I understand that in downtown Cancun noone speaks English like on the hotel zones, another challenge i'm looking forward to. (I know, i'm weird)

THANKS for all the replies, I'm taking in every bit of advice you all can give me

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @Kasidy: Do it! :)

If everything goes bad, well, you have only a few hours to fly home.

Try it - it will make you grow as a person, for sure!

You can get by with only English, at least in Cancun. I did so for 1 year, and I know a LOT of hardheaded Americans and Canadians whom simply refuse to even try to learn the language, even the easiest parts, yet, they live here and have been doing so for quite a few years.

The basic Spanish will come fairly quickly, so no stress.

Best of luck!

3. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also, if you are prepared to try the time-share business, there are plentiful companies that will hire you without any Spanish whatsoever, and they will arrange the visa for you.

4. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Scorpio: Correct. There are many crappy companies for each good, so IF time share is something you'd wanna try, do some research on each company.

Entertainment staff at hotels could be another thing to try?

Even some tour companies hire English speakers only for the sales department.

Copywriters/editors are another thing that one can do with very limited Spanish. Obviously editing English writing. :)

There ARE jobs - just be persistent and bring a reasonable amount of cash as a backup, like everyone has mentioned already.

I have a friend who does on-line English teaching. She works 7am to 11am, then 3pm to 7pm. Monday to Friday. It gives her around 1200 $USD/month.

5. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kasidy. I will respond to your PM soon...promise. But I really think coming here and going to a Spanish Emersion school for three months is the prefect thing to do. Most include room and possible board. So all you would need is spending $. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Learn spanish/coulture while living in "paradise".

Teeeejay, thanks for the shout out. It brought a smile to Rene's face. You and some others on this forum have come to my rescue when in need and I am forever grateful. LOVE the BMW phrase. Working in hotels I see daily girls talking about giving up so much for them. I wouldn't have changed a thing about being here. Sometimes risks bring the best rewards

6. mexipat

mexipat Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lots of expats in Mexico speak no Spanish and get along pretty well.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    True, I am one of them! I wouldn't say "no Spanish" but not as good as it might be after 7 years.

Thing is I'm not 19 years old and looking to find a job, I also have a wife who is a native speaker to cover everything in Spanish I need.

There are jobs, but like I said before they are hard to come by and competitive. Now is not a great time to look for a job with the annual season downturn. If you seem like you're not here for the long haul then it's going to be even harder. Employers don't want to invest money in visa applications and training if you might be gone next month.

Timeshare sales is always an option, but they hire and fire without a second thought and its commission only. Timeshare telesales are probably the jobs you will find online. It might seem great to live in Cancun but if you're working in a cubicle for 10 hrs a day 6 days a week on a crappy wage cold calling clients 99% of whom wish you'd never called how much fun will living here really be?

8. Kasidy

Kasidy Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well like I said if I end up hating it then I can always come home.... but i know i've got to try. I feel like if I dont atleast give it a go, i'll be thinking about it all the time and regret not seeing what would happen.

So the jobs that they have hiring online arn't trustworthy? I found one hiring for a sales associate at one of the resorts, which I think would be perfect for me!!!

as for my spanish, I just bought the Pimsleur software and it seems to be working pretty well, I have some friends who know how bad i want to speak it fluently who will now ONLY talk to me in espanol, and will ONLY respond if i speak it back, haha... so that is definitely something i'm hoping to improve on.

9. PatoPan

PatoPan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I say go for it! If you've got the money saved up, you've always got something to fall back on. When I came out here two years ago it took me a week to find a job, and even though I speak Spanish, it was because of my English that they hired me. I would say that the time share companies can be a good option, depending on when you work for them. During high season, the earnings can be quite lucrative, or for Mexico at least!

For the Spanish part, learning from Spanish friends is a great idea - I studied Spanish at university, but have learnt to speak properly during my time here. The idea suggested above of studying Spanish here would be ideal as well, if this is your aim. It is NOT necessary however, just helpful - locals appreciate the effort you made to learn the language, I find.

At the end of the day, you're at a perfect age to do this. Back in the UK thousands of teenagers take a gap year before going to university to travel the world, experience that feeling of independence, etc. before they face the responsibility of having to make a living, have a family etc. If you've got the support of people back home, and money saved up for if thigns don't go as planned, then you've got nothing to lose.

10. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I think its important for people to follow their dreams.............go for it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice