My car has to return to Mexico, I can't drive

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by jenleib, Jan 30, 2011.

1. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I came almost a year ago, driving from Cancun to Tampa. My car is allowed here for a year. It has Mexican plates and I am the (Mexican) owner.

I have had an accident in September, have been injured and I am unable to drive more than a few miles. I MIGHT get a visa extension for medical reasons, but DMV say on their site that NO extension is allowed for cars.

I know now it is more the season for people to go back North, but I was wondering if someone could drive it for me. I could come along, to solve some problems there and sell it, or go to France to be treated.

The car has been perfectly fixed by Honda, and has 4 new tires. It has to be within the next few weeks, I was still hoping to get a solution to stay here.

Any help? I would be very grateful. Thanks.

2. cancunroberto

cancunroberto Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    do you have to leave florida???cant you get driving permission here in florida?so sorry as i know you love it there.

3. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are going to bring to it to Cancun, why don't you ship it from Miami. It only costs around $700 and is a pretty easy process. I used Hyde Shipping. It will cost you almost as much to drive it (gas, hotels, food, tolls, etc). There might even be a company to ship it from Tampa, but I found Hyde to have the best prices and good customer service.

4. jenleib

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, Kathy, I need to leave every 6 months... unless I can get an extension for medical reasons. But it seems my car can't and everyone advises me against calling DMV. I don't have a legal residence here.... yet :). If I stay (and I want that so much) but my car can't.... it is a bit of a catch 22 situation.

5. cancunroberto

cancunroberto Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    uship.com i used them to take my boat from nj to hyde shipping. then you can fly over to cancun hyde is great used them 2 times

6. jenleib

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    uship is a bidding site, correct? How do I know what price to offer???
    I looked for Hybur, I see them in Medley (or something like that), I thought they were in FLL.... I have no idea of the costs yet.

7. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I believe that Hyde and Hybur are the same company and they are located in Medley. I shipped a 2000 Jetta over to Puerto Morelos and it only cost $700.

8. jenleib

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you. I finally found them and talked to them.... They told me that would cost me ~$990 (bigger than yours, and prices have probably gone up).

I ONLY have to solve another problem :(. When I entered the US, they didn't give me any papers, or even stamped my passport. In other words, my car doesn't exist (maybe me neither) :confused:. I need to solve that with the customs :banghead:.

Or I have to sell a non-existent car to an illegal Mexican. :wink3:. Do you know any????

9. CharlesinCancun

CharlesinCancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    what year is it , model , mileage

10. jenleib

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Honda CR-V 2007, about 32,500 KILOMETERS (20,000 miles?), you see the picture :). New battery, new tires.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice