Moving to mexico - letter to pres. Obama

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by v8eyedoc, May 15, 2010.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    T.J.: Haha, just DONT get me started on animal rights and/or racism - I`ll never shut up :icon_lol:

I have one, very important question to those Americans who hang out on this forum:

Health care - why are "you guys" going nuts every time the subject comes up?

"Socialized health care? We are not communists" is something I hear a LOT from many Americans, both friends and strangers.

I mean, it works great in many countries, and I never hear complaints about other socialized services in the US, such as libraries, fire department, police etc.

Im just curious what the big deal is - dont mean to step on peoples toes or anything...

I miss our system from back home(well, until the right wing took over in 2006...) - never paid for a single ambulance ride/visit/surgery.

Im insured by law(costs me nada, even when living abroad for the last 6 years, full time..)

But we pay high taxes(38% income tax when I lived in Stockholm...), but the again: We get a hell of a lot out of it and we also get a nice "tax refund" each September - October.

Im just amazed at the outcry, yet the complete silence and "agreement" when it comes to other socialized services.

Now, I do understand that there are ways and ways to do things, but why not take after a country that already has a functioning health care system? Would it be too much pride to swallow?

Please help me shed some light on this :)

NOTE! I do NOT mean you on the forum, since I dont know you and thus cant judge you. The question is more general :)

2. bigR

bigR Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    OK, I will admit that I don't understand the socialized healthcare bit. I consider myself conservative. I vote Republican. There was a time when I was self employed, and I paid for an individual insurance policy for my family. It wasn't cheap, and the coverage sucked. When my wife became preggers ( on accident ) the insurer kicked us off. That to me was total B.S. So she had to get Medicaid. It wasn't what we wanted to do. We had no other choice. My point being, they need to just re-vamp the medical system. Make it where people can afford quality insurance. Make it where they can't deny or kick you off for any reason they deem necessary. I'm against just giving everyone insurance. To me, there are way to many people that do not contribute to society. The people on welfare that do not work, and cannot pass drug screens do not deserve crap that cost us taxpayers, the people that actually contribute to our wonderful country. But maybe I'm wrong. like I said, I don't really understand this issue....... JMO.

3. mrbear

mrbear Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    dear mr. freebee

The land of milk and honey, to bad there are strings attached like discrimination, poor schooling, exploitation, and Mac minimum wage. If your don’t mind living with 20 people in the same house, getting your ass kicked by skin heads, getting arrested by the cops in Arizona and treated like a criminal. In addition to being the spring board and scapegoat for every politician running for office than enjoy the all the freebies mentioned above. Knowledge is an interesting thing; if you ask the average cab driver in Mexico who is getting rich off the system they will give you a fairly honest answer, el politico, el narcotraficante y los magnates. But you ask the average Joe, who is getting rich off the system in the states, you quickly find out that they don’t really know, or can give you a straight forward answer. More than likely they will regurgitate what they heard on Fox News, CNBC or CNN. But I bet that most people reading this blog will guess who they perceive is free loading off the system and is responsible for most of societal ills. It’s funny I did my internship in a clinic located in Beverly Hills’ and I don’t remember very many illegal’s driving exotic cars, or living in any mansions, but I did see several politicians, corporate big wigs, bankers and many of the same types of people who are getting rich off the system in Mexico also getting rich here.

4. TNCJ1

TNCJ1 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think the whole American system needs an revamp. You have people working at fast food places for $9 an hour with a couple of kids, driving an old beat up vehicle wondering if they are going to make it to work and worried about how they are going to pay their bills every month. They cant get any help from the government because they "make to much money". On the other hand you have meth heads with no job rolling around in new vehicles, getting food stamps and housing assistance. To me this just makes more people dependant on a flawed system and does not give help to the ones that really want and need help to try and better themselves and their family. i am sure some people deserve the help from the government and i don't mind that these people get it.I have to pass monthly and random drug test at work to keep my job to pay taxes to support these people on welfare.I feel its only fair that to receive the benefits they should have to pass a drug test also. I think this would cut down on alot of the abuse the system gets. IMHO.

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You got it, Brother Bear, and those same people would like for us to stay focused on the illegals, so they can get on with milking the system for real money.

Let them "f" up, like the investment banks did, and see how many of them turn down a government handout, on principle- free market, or otherwise.

Their political principles don't come near running as deep as they want you to believe.

6. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Waddup, TJ?

1. Kinda new to this site to know if Rawkus has a heart or not, but I did enjoy his comments bc, let's face it, I know nothing about Sweden, which is kinda embarrassing.

2. Hmmm I'm not sure what point they were trying to make (American pride?, racism?, jealousy?, going against the system?), but some double standards were made pretty obvious to me as soon as the grownups made them take off their American clothes.

3. I don't know him personally, but I'm going to have to go with "yes" only bc I'm quickly losing faith in politicians across the board. If a nice country with a good reputation like Sweden can't even get it right, who can?

7. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hahaha :)

"get it right" - Thats exactly what happened - we got "right" and the "right" yet again managed to f**** it all up :ranting1:

Im happy that I discovered the world outside tiny, little Sweden however :)

Traveling is the healthiest thing in the entire world - Im addicted and have been since the age of 17 ;)

Im also very thankful that I, as a Swedish citizen, can show my passport, get treatment(regardless if Im visiting or living in a country) and let the Swedish government pay.

Did it whilst living in Thai, Australia, New Zealand and Canada and now Mexico.

I do however NOT enjoy the limits that Sweden(as a small country) has, and I doubt I will ever move "home".

Hehe, was talking with an American last night who is a very good friend of mine.

He painted the scenario regarding fire dept, police etc. NOT being socialized in US.

Whilst you are being assaulted, the emergency central checks your details and find out that you are NOT covered. Too bad.

While you are crawling around on the floor, trying to avoid the smoke from the fire, the fire department tells you "Sorry, your credit card didnt go through... Have a nice evening and good luck..."

I think US should swallow the pride and ask countries who have functioning health care systems for help/advise - no shame in that.

But then again: The pharmaceutical industry in US is massive and it brings in ridiculous amounts of $$$...

You dont want to mess with the "big dawgs", right?

Sad really...

Im assuming this comes form the capitalism that you guys have "up there"?

Its just so unthinkable for me, straight out crazy, how a nation can neglect so many of their own citizens...

Haha, I dont think I could ever live in US... Would drive me nuts :D

Spent some 9 months working/living there - that was more than enough.

But, when it comes to traveling, I LOVE it !! Soooo much to do and see!

Mexico could NEVER be "forever" for me - too much crap that pisses me off... daily. Mostly(dont even think I need to mention this...) is the lack of any common sense when it comes to dogs/cats etc.

Really disgusts me, to the bone.

So, not moving back to Sweden, and not staying in Mexico forever... Where will we end up..? I have NO IDEA, and THATS the beauty of it all :)

Maybe Ill just throw a dart on a world map and see what happens and hope that the wife agrees? :xyxthumbs:

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Gringation,

:huepfen013: BINGO - WE HAVE A WINNER ! ! ! :huepfen013:

9. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know this "letter" isn't serious but it brings up some interesting things.

I think I'm pretty much on the fence here.

On the one hand if you're going to move to a different country you had better learn their language and customs. In Canada here we have issues with people from other countries coming here and expecting things to be just like they were in their old country. (our government is too accommodating and it pisses people off)

On the other hand there's a certain amount of inclusion that is needed for people to feel accepted. I think in the US Spanish is the second most spoken language so it just makes sense for the government to have people who speak that language. But there is a line to draw somewhere.

BTW.. I thought all food stamps were free to the people who needed them.

10. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It seems that everyone here has lost their sense of humor. I am very sad to see that, and sorry for Steve, but the site is not as appealing as before.

IF I remember correctly, this very same letter had been posted many years ago by Johndish, at that time everyone had laughed or replied with some other jokes... Why has it changed so much? Though many posters are the same persons :(

Go back to your common sense, dear members! PLEASE. Anger, grudge and hatred are negative and destructive feelings.

We are not in politics or immigration strategies here!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice