Moving to Cancun Questions

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Cancuna, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah...it is near the pollo feliz...I have seen it but havent stopped in yet. I know what you mean about not getting your hopes up here...happens to me all the time.

2. Cancuna

Cancuna Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gabachan and Limejello, thanks for enlightening me on local crops. I love those Mayans! into communal ''rooftop'' type of horticulture, very smart and advanced. I'd live amongst them if I could drag steamy Valladolid to the coast.

As for quinoa, rawkus, colour matters! Red (costlier) tastes much better than white. The latter is ok for salads. Wouldn't expect to find it in Cancun.

In fact I never even saw it in Cuenca (Ecuador) where I lived for a few months and bought my food at the outdoor wknd mkts, from the indigenous who are said to grow quinoa.

We should form a C. meet up group of vegetarian cooking, with monthly potlucks. (lol). TJ brings bring his diamond-priced chai seeds, Rawkus brings fresh nuts, I bring homemade humus, and the list goes on.

3. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Veggie-cooking meet-up sounds like a plan! :)

Dont jump of joy just yet regarding the nuts... Ive lost count on how many times Cancun has let me down with various things, such as food items and snacks that are NOT packed with cheap oils, tons of salt, preservatives etc.

Quinoa: Ahh, must have been the red one Ive seen. TJ likes this stuff and Im sure he know more places than I(one...) where to get it.

4. limejello

limejello Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus, I wonder if Merida might be a good place to get raw nuts! We would frequent the markets such as Lucas de Galvez and I remember they had tons of fresh spices and whole foods. I know you're in Cancun, but sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures (ehhh...depending on how desperate you are for nuts! haha).

5. Cancuna

Cancuna Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Limejello touches on a good point.

One of the benefits of having an expat group (or call it a close-knit community) is that members who go places may bring stuff for others. Ex: Living in Merida, I'll have to go to Merida for concerts, so I'd be glad to bring Rawkus some nuts.

6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You girls are the best, hehe! :)

7. WorldComesClear

WorldComesClear Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks valgunn! I attempted to make my own, let's just say it didn't turn out as I expected.

8. Cancuna

Cancuna Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WorldComesClear (to whom?)

Are you living in Calgary or in Cancun now? Be attentive, you might wish to join the future ''expat vegetarian food enthusiasts'' meet up.

9. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It was in stock at Costco yesterday!

10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cancuna. You can bring me some Quinoa Perlas if you want. Deadly expensive. Finished my last smuggled pkg tonight with blackened tuna, and Paula Deen's creamed spinach. And the red wine is still flowing,

Life is grand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice