Moving to Cancun Questions

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Cancuna, Aug 2, 2012.

1. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cancuna: there is PLENTY of horticulture on the peninsula...the Mayans are well-known for this. There are dozens and dozens of veggies grown around there area.

Anything that is indigenous to the peninsula is usually cheap and very fresh! If it is not local and therefore imported, that's when things get pricey.

Don't know about kale (don't even know what the word in Spanish is) but chaya is a local superfood.

Yucatecans eat an insanely fresh and local diet...Meat is usually butchered less than 24 hours before being prepared. They also eat tons of eggs.

Limejello...you and your husband considered Valladolid? Is Bucztoz (sic, sorry) closer to Merida?

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You guys are making me hungry.

Just ate some raw broccoli and half an avocado drenched in lime juice.

Now going to make a juice of carrots, an apple and some cucumber. Maybe more. Have to check the frig. Maybe some spinach if it is still good.

Thanks for making me healthier today.

3. Cancuna

Cancuna Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    there is PLENTY of horticulture on the peninsula... There are dozens and dozens of veggies grown around there area.

Gee, I didn't know, indeed I can't say I ever saw any. And I've explored the Peninsula up and down and sideways. The soil-I've read about- is said to be humid and largely infertile. In Merida, I had friends who-lacking fresh veggies-got their own horticultural garden, by renting a tiny piece out of town. They were seen as oddities. Sadly, I've observed in supermkts what most Mexicans bring to the cashier and rarely were there veggies. As you may know-as a people- Mxcs have the highest level of obesity in the w. world.

Never lived in a Mayan community, but I spent a few weeks in Valladolid (a city I very much like for its people) and never saw residents buying veggies either, nor was there farming around there.

But I'm very glad to learn that I'll find local produce in Cancun. I'm also a novice to vegetarianism, still in the progress of reinventing meals

4. limejello

limejello Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cancuna, I can vouch for everything that Gabacha said about the produce and freshness of the food in Yucatan. My mother-in-law butchers her own chickens and eats eggs from hens she keeps. Where the soil is too rocky, a lot of people have thriving container gardens (even if they're made from large reused tin cans). In my in-laws small yard, they have chickens, several papaya plants, a large lemon tree, several banana plants, an almond tree and a grapefruit tree. There are probably a few that I'm forgetting, but that kind of gives you an idea.

Gabacha, Buctzotz is exactly 91 KM from Merida, so it is closer than Valladolid. We lived in an area of Merida called San Pedro Cholul, which was within walking distance of the Macroplaza. There was a roundabout nearby with a giant statue in the middle of the Xtabay, and it had an enormous Yaax che growing in the middle. It was amazing, and probably something that not too many people in Merida even know about because of its distance from el centro.
    Every time I ask my husband where he wants to live, it ends up changing. First Progreso, then San Felipe, now Santa Clara. I'm trying to convince him that Merida's the way to go, mostly because I'd love to have access to all of the great things the city has to offer.

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I doubt what I buy is very organic, but there is an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables in the supers here, and at very low prices, typically.

6. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for reminding me, limejello...I know I've asked that question before!

Cancuna...the Mayans typically grow many of their own fruits and vegetables in their solares. There are also a couple of villages that are very, very well known for their farming techniques, but the names are escaping me right now.

There is no shortage of fresh produce in the Mayan diet, and much of it is grown locally. I know this because I've been living in and visiting Mayan villages for years now.

There is plenty of calabasa, pepita, chaya, limon, oranges (both sweet and sour) and tons of others around!

The history of farming on plots outside of town dates back hundreds of years. Most villages have communally owned property on which they have farmed called eijido land. My husband's family's land is about 10 km outside of their village. Of course, the soil is degraded and growing becomes tougher, but it is still done. Nothing odd about it!

One of the biggest adjustments to living in Cancun that my husband had to make was actually BUYING things like limes and grapefruit, as he was so used to having it on his property.

7. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I get my veggies in mainly 4 places: Market 23(live 5 mins away), Mega Commercial(next to COSTCO), COSTCO and Soriana. Decent prices at most time, way better than Wal Mart(whom I dont support at all after their dirty tactics), nicer staff etc.

I havent bought any Quinoa here, yet... I know TJ wrote and linked some Youtube vids about it, and it really fascinates me, a lot.

Once I buy some, Ill ask for the recipe, hehe :)

Does the recipe also work on "regular" quinoa, or does it have to be red?

8. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus....how about them nuts? I have been thinking non-stop about this secret warehouse full of every kind of nut you can imagine!

9. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cancun Fun: Still havent been able to wander over to have a look, sorry.

I got SUPER excited, but have learned to keep my expectations to a minimum... Still sounds a bot too good to be true, hehe.

Im really hoping it exists and that the prices arent all that crazy. I dont mind paying more than the crap that the Supermarkets sell, as one would actually eat stuff that is 100% healthy. Im sure its cheaper than having to go to the Doc ;)

Ill try to head over tomorrow and have a wander around to see if/where it is.

10. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    By the way, Vegan Planet opened up(finally!) and I think they sells cashews etc. I would assume its quite costly, but then again: Cashews are, regardless where in the world I have ever been.

I bought some delicious and healthy Goji berries from Vegan Planet when they had a small booth at the Latin American Food Festival, last year. Spoke to the guys that now opened up their restaurant and shop.

Think its located opposite of City Club, on the same side as La Taberna etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice