Moving to Cancun Questions

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Cancuna, Aug 2, 2012.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cancuna,
    Mega has the flax seeds too. They don't seem to carry chia seeds any longer but I get them now for $100/kg at CiM at Mercado 23, not that you mentioned chia.

2. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Limejello...I bet you've eaten puchero at some point in your life! :) They typically put garbanzo in that. I remember being surprised when a garbanzo turned up in my spoon...totally unexpected.

3. limejello

limejello Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gabacha, I asked Marcos and he said that the puchero that he's eaten has lentils, potato, camote and a bunch of other veggies, but he doesn't ever remember it including garbanzos. My MIL typically had her set menu (e.g. Frijol con puerco Mondays, cochinita on Sundays, etc.). I'm not a big fan of pork, so I can't recall ever eating puchero myself. :)

Cancuna, I have seen FOK and also read The China Study. Crazy, Sexy Diet is also good, as well as Food Revolution (by John Robbins of Baskin Robbins fame- he quit the ice cream biz and became a vegan!). We're moving back to Mexico in January of the upcoming year and I've thought about how hard or easy it would be for me to be raw. One of the major plus points is the plethora of fresh fruits and veggies year-round. I will be taking my food processor and dehydrator with me. I will stick to a plant-based diet but stay *mostly* raw, adding a few cooked things as necessary.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Merida, or elsewhere? If Merida, be sure and pay us a visit here.

5. limejello

limejello Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V, we're still undecided on where in Yucatan we are ultimately going to settle. My husband is from Buctzotz, and we have lived in both Merida and Cancun. Cancun wasn't for us for many reasons. We'd like to be some place near the beach, because Marcos (my husband) really wants to buy his boat and be a fisherman. I'm pretty easygoing, but I'd like to find somewhere family-friendly and tranquilo for our 2 kids, ages 4 and 2. So we're considering settling perhaps in Progreso or San Felipe. Merida would also be a good option, especially if I want to find work. I like that it has everything, and it's not far at all from Progreso, so it would be easy for Marcos to travel back and forth.

6. Cancuna

Cancuna Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Limejello,

In Mexico, it may be harder to be a vegetarian than a rawfoodist.
    Not much horticulture nowhere in the Yucatan, anyway.
    I can add that-as much as I tried very hard to see beauty in Progresso-I didn't succeed. Merida is a pleasant city and -depending where you live-very quiet (with concerts, shows, libraries, etc) except that it's a real sauna, a humid sauna at its max temperature. Progresso has a friendly and varied expat community. But as you know, Mx's best beach is Tulum.

Chia seeds! seems like Cancun is totally updated on food fads. Don't tell me it also sells kale !! wow! Fantastico!

7. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Fellow veg! Awesome :)

A friend told me that there is a "nut-outlet" here in Cancun. Trying to get more info, such as directions. (Im talking clean stuff - no salt, oil, spices etc. :))

Ive had no issues being veg in Cancun for 5 and a half years. Some things are hard to come by, but the year round availability of fruits and veggies, at a decent cost(compared to back home in Sweden) is VERY helpful.

Best of luck and welcome to the sun! :)

8. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yeah, they're pretty close, alright: have your home in the north of Merida and it might only take him twenty minutes to get to his boat everyday.

As beautiful as the area around San Felipe must be, it would be a hard place to live, long term, unless you're a real country girl....

The Ria Lagartos Biosphere Reserve

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  9. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus...when you get some more info on this please post...I am super interested!

10. Cancuna

Cancuna Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus, tell us where you (food) shop

in order words, where's the cheaper and fresher variety of veggies?

Have you seen red quinoa also? If so, I'll share a recipe that is the yummiest ever!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice