Moving to Cancun Questions

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Cancuna, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Cancuna

Cancuna Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    1) Has anyone seen Tahini (sold in jars) in a supermkt? It's sesame paste which is needed to makes humus. I'll bring my electric hand mixer if there's Tahini.

2) Confession: I've never had a TV. and cannot imagine co-residing with one. At this stage, I'm just bringing my laptop. Ideally I'd have a large monitor so I could view movies, etc. Are the computer monitors sold there (Staples?), a lot more expensive than those bought North?

3) I'm arriving August 31. Would anyone know of a quiet apt share or even a furnished room for one month, (even for 2 weeks) while I look at apts to rent ?

You guys are extremely helpful and I can't thank you enough!

2. WorldComesClear

WorldComesClear Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello Cancuna, I'm not too sure about Tahini... I myself have been searching for Tziki but cannot find it anywhere. There are plenty of computer monitors sold in Cancun, there's places like Walmart (Superama), Costco, Mega, there's a lot of electronic stores in Plaza Las America's and there's even a second hand store in Soriana which is a large supermarket here in Cancun. You won't have any problems finding a computer monitor at all.

I'm sorry I don't know of any accommodations but I would just post a separate post here on the forum. Good luck!

3. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Every once in a while Costco carries tzatziki, it's in the section with all the cheeses and cured meats (not the frozen section). It's actually not bad at all.

4. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I haven't seen it in any stores either. You might want to ask the owners at Sahara's restaurant to see where they get theirs or perhaps you can buy it directly from them. Their hummus is excellent.

Monitors are considerably more expensive than they are in the states. Looking at about +25% to +50% mark up. Varies with the exchange rate, but electronic are one of the things you'll pay much more here than in the US (toys are another).

5. Cancuna

Cancuna Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank You/Gracias!

Now I'll have to make the Tahini also, they better have sesame seeds.
    If they don't sell flaxseeds I can't live there (lol).

After I get the residency visa I'll have to bring in a lot of stuff, will inquire about shipping stuff then.

I guess the initial months there, not having one's stuff, will be quite hard. My success will depend if I meet people and make friends who support this adventure.

Thanks!

6. limejello

limejello Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cancuna, I have seen sesame seeds sold in supermarkets in both Cancun and Merida. They also sell flaxseeds. Someone else would have to tell you if they sell garbanzos or not (although I'm sure you can sub in other beans).

Edit: out of curiosity, do you follow a special diet?

7. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My MIL (lives in a small village) cooks with garbanzo beans sometimes so I imagine one could also find them in Cancun. Sesame seeds, definitely.

Basically, if it is an ingredient used in Mexican cooking, you will be able to find it.

8. limejello

limejello Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, Gabacha. Yeah, I wasn't sure if there were garbanzos, and I don't recall my own MIL using them in her cooking. I'll have to ask the hubs if he even heard of them before he left his pueblo.

9. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can for sure get the sesame seeds in the bulk foods section of the Mega next to Costco. Bee pollen too if that hits your hot button.

10. Cancuna

Cancuna Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gracias to you All

I'm Glad there's seeds. To answer Limejello, yes I must eat flaxseeds daily. My diet is restricted for several reasons. Plus, I've become vegetarian.

For those interested in health: Have you read the China Study or seen Dr. Campbell's documentary Forks Instead of Knives? Downloadable.

Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice