Moving to Cancun? Help please

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Laura, May 15, 2017.

1. Laura

Laura Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hello,

I have recently returned from a holiday to Cancun and fell in love with the place.

I would really love the opportunity to possibly live and work there. I'm currently in the process of completing my TEFL course so teaching English is an option if there are any jobs available. Ideally I would love to work in a hotel as I love meeting people.

I cannot speak Spanish but I know that that's something I will have to learn, which I'm excited about as I would love to speak another language.

Please if anyone has any advise or even a job it would be great to hear from you.

Many thanks

Laura

2. Cancunscorpio

Cancunscorpio Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    1. NEVER mix a vacationing here and living here. In all likelihood you will not be living in that shiny Hotel Zone in an all inclusive resort, but will have to rent a place downtown or anywhere you like it.

2. TEFL ain't gonna help you much since you'll need a work permit here in Mexico. Obtaining one is a lot more difficult than it used to be. Same goes about working at the hotel.

3. Well, you kinda have to speak, read and write Spanish if you want to succeed here;) Though many Mexicans speak English.

4. Advise? Learn Spanish, come down here for a month or so, rent a place in Cancun or in Playa del Carmen and get the feel of a REAL MEXICO, and not a postcard one;) And then make a decision;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The stories of those who've come here to live and work are varied but many have successfully made the transition and stayed, some for a quarter of a century and longer. Some didn't know Spanish when they arrived and still don't but they found a niche for themselves in sales or otherwise.

Getting a work permit is primarily about finding someone who wants to hire you and has the approval of immigration to hire foreigners. The process starts with a job offer which you then take back to a Mexican Consulate or Embassy abroad. It is they who issue the visa you need to enter Mexico to work. Upon arrival in Mexico you must present yourself to the local immigration authorities within 30 days and they issue the work permit.

Perhaps the most important thing is to broaden your horizon so far as the type of work you may find here. Read online and talk with as many people as possible to get ideas where and for what to apply. Expect to have to apply in person.

What you actually do to make a living here may end up being something you never had put on your list of possibilities. The first things that may pop into your mind may be unavailable to you or simply pay too little, so go broad in your investigations.

Good luck!

4. AaronCancun

AaronCancun Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi Laura! First find an employer that help u with de work visa, u can share jobs in sne or indeed, occ or similar web sites, check de the INM page for more information about the visa, and good luck!

5. kycouple2

kycouple2 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Living in cancun would be a dream come true in my opinion and would keep a smile in my face forever. It's by far my favorite place in the world.

6. canukcun

canukcun Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    English teaching jobs pop up in the area periodically. Mexican classified sites are best to look at, if you know some spanish it helps in navigating the spanish job sites. Teaching jobs on English sites have become rare since political transition back to PRI, who were seen as championing the Mexican people but also with immigration changes that were being phased in some years ago, illegal teaching jobs seemed to dry up and advertising on English websites scaled back. People at the time explained that there was a lot of politics in play prior however, things normalized a bit under the current administration.

Who knows what will happen in 2018 elections - however, I suggest researching local classified sites for Q. Roo, or all mexico that include Q. Roo. Jobs commonly pop up in Cozumel, occassionally Cancun, and less frequently in Playa, or other locations. They do occur though.

Example

Empleos de Maestro de Ingles en INFINITY SOLAR ENERGY en Cancún, QRoo. | Indeed.com.mx

7. El Guero

El Guero Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Re-read what Cancunscorpio has written. He's told you the absolute - and important truth. . .

The number of people who have moved to Mexico, thinking they were going to live like they were on vacation, and then having to leave, broke and disappointed, could fill the Gobi Desert. Don't do this to yourself. Take your time - learn Spanish well and then you'll be ready.

8. canukcun

canukcun Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    The best spots to find these jobs are in Spanish. So if you know Spanish I would check out Mexican classified sites.

However, I have to say as someone who has done a variety of TEFL/TESOL courses, the easiest route to a position in Mexico is to actually do a TEFL/TESOL program in Mexico such as through ITTO, as they offer help getting work in Mexico.

Teach English in Mexico | TEFL TESOL course in Guadalajara, Mexico

They are great for job placement. However, work in Playa/Cancun/Cozumel isn't as common as they are on the Pacific. However, there are jobs I see in these areas if you are willing to take a Mexican waged position. Lots of Mexican work doesn't pay comparably to to the North; however, if you are like me, you want to go because you love the weather, the energy, the ocean, the people, the food, the culture, etc... TEFL is a basic requirement for teaching if it is via the SEP even better. However, lots of places also look for CELTA or other qualifications. You can get some places that will put in for a work permit, but others want people already in Mexico with resident permits, etc.. as some places have provided sort of sketchy advice that could fly under the radar. I've personally met tons of English instructors who were working technically illegally in Mexico. However, it was clear there was unmet demand, so I personally could understand how authorities may turn a blind eye, as it helps Mexico's tourism industry to have people teaching English, and some locations have difficulty retaining English teachers, as some positions have high turnover rates. Oddly, if it were legal a better option might be to get an online teaching position, as they pay better if you can get them. IE 10+$/hour vs maybe 5$ per hour to teach domestically in Mexico. I am not sure the legal status of teaching online while in Mexico overseas, as that very well could be considered work, I am guessing technically you might need a permit, although you wouldn't be employed by an employer in Mexico, so again I am not sure how that would work.

Here is an example of a classified ad from a popular classified site

maestro ( a ) de ingles
    [​IMG]

Playa del Carmen
    Quintana Roo

[​IMG]

experiencia
    5 años

[​IMG]

educación
    [​IMG]

indefinido
    tiempo parcial

[​IMG]

salario
    60 MXN hora

[​IMG]

publicado
    hace más de 60 días
    Empresa de capacitacion solicita maestro(a) de Ingles para trabajar en playa del carmen. Horario: 3 a 4 y 4:30 a 5:30 No somos escuela. Capacitamos empresas.
    Contactar a Profa. Denyh Aguilar
    CASA(998) 176 06 91
    CEL 99 81 09 85 85
    OFNA (998) 881 06 55 ext. 5502

Empleo de maestro ( a ) de ingles Quintana Roo - Acciontrabajo México - 2017

Now compare that 60 pesos per hour with an online job example

Teach English Online from Home - Students are in Japan – Native English and Bilingual Japanese Speakers Wanted

Posted By: Lyngo, LLC
    Date: Tuesday, 7 November 2017, at 12:05 p.m.

Lyngo, LLC. is looking for enthusiastic Native English and Japanese speakers to work online from home teaching English to students in Japan. We are specifically looking for Japanese speakers, in addition to native English speakers.

Japanese natives only need to speak English at a very basic conversation level.

With demand for online English education exploding, Lyngo brings English language learners and teachers together in a fun and simple to use online environment.

No teaching experience required. We provide training. Certifications and experience will be considered assets but are not necessary.

All instruction materials are provided. Classes are held online from the comfort of your home.

Classes are conducted online 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.

- Preference for candidates available from 8:00pm to midnight (JST) and especially those willing to work weekends.
    - You can create your own schedule

Current teachers provide from 6 to 40 hours worth of classes per week.

Compensation:
    Ranges from 1100 Japanese Yen to 1300 Japanese Yen per hour, depending on the type of class and incentives.

Potential for promotion to management.

Convenient payments directly to your personal PayPal (normal PayPal fees apply).

Prerequisites for teaching:
    -Native level English or Japanese speaker
    (Native English speakers do not need to speak Japanese)
    (Native Japanese speakers need very basic English conversation skills)
    -Fast, stable Internet connection (some extremely stable WiFi connections may be acceptable)
    -Webcam and USB headset
    -Computer able to run Skype

or this that pays 9.5$ per 25 minute class (like something like 300 pesos an hour)

The VIPKID Teach English Online opportunity:

VIPKID is the world leader in online English education for kids 12 and under.

Rediscover the joy of teaching with VIPKID's platform and curriculum. No commute, no grading, no lesson planning required! Instruct kids in your spare time during early mornings or evenings.

Teaching just 60 minutes part-time per day earns you between $420-650 a month. It's as easy as making a Skype call, with interactive and fun curriculum and lesson plans made for your use.

- Ranked #5 by Forbes on its 2017 "Top 100 Remote Work" companies
    - The most active online English teaching community in the world
    - Top-ranked online teaching company on Indeed and Glassdoor with 4-star rating and 86% CEO approval
    - Backed by Sequoia Capital and Tencent Holdings (currently valued at $1.5 billion)

Please search for VIPKID on YouTube, Facebook, and Glassdoor to see the rave reviews from the 20,000+ North Americans that teach for us.

Requirements and Qualifications to become an Online English Teacher/Online ESL Teacher:

- BA degree or higher
    - Experience with any kind of teaching (1+ years)*
    - Eligible to legally work in the U.S. or Canada
    - Desire to engage and inspire young learners

*Note on Teaching Experience: This can include educators, professors, tutors, teaching assistants, elementary teachers, traditional teaching experience or the equivalent in mentoring, tutoring, or alternative education.

While helpful, there's no requirement for teaching certificate, state certification, TESOL, TEFL, or ESL experience. All classes and business are conducted in English.

Other experience you may have that are not requirements, but are preferred:

- Online English Education / Educator / Online English Teaching / Online Instructor
    - Home-Based Online English Teacher / Online English Tutor / Online English Tutoring
    - Online English Teacher Assistant / Online English Elementary Teacher
    - Summer Teacher / Casual Teacher / Assistant Teacher / Teaching Assistant
    - Elementary School Teacher / High School Teacher
    - Substitute Teacher / Teacher Assistant / Lead Teacher

The Basics of the Online English Teacher Role:

- The classes: 25-minute full immersion English language, 1-on-1 classes
    - The pay: Depends on your experience, but as reported on Indeed, averages around $9.5 per 25-minutes class, i.e.$19/hour
    - The curriculum: U.S. Common Core aligned lesson material, designed by our in-house curriculum team
    - Time of day: You choose your schedule from available class slots; peak student demand hours are listed below
    - Location: Conveniently teach remote from your own home - no commute!
    - What you need: You only need is computer, a strong internet connection, and a headset
    - Benefits: Learn best online teaching experiences from our professional team at no cost
    - The culture: You will learn about Chinese culture, families, and lifestyle through classroom exchanges with our students

Contract type: Independent contractor
    Start date: Immediately

Peak times: The following hours tend to be the most requested time periods to teach from our families:

- Monday-Sunday 6-10am EST
    - Saturday-Sunday 9pm-10am EST

HOW TO APPLY

Please apply through our Teacher Recruitment Portal: http://www.vipkidteachers.com.

I am considering doing online work myself once I figure out its legal status and requirements to telecommute to employment outside Mexico while inside Mexico. As it could be a way of sidestepping requirement.

The real issue is meeting the resident permit requirements on income earnings.

If you don't have a BA I would if possible go to school in Mexico as you will be better positioned to stay in Mexico if you complete a degree there.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice