Moving to Cancun from USA..Need some info.

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by ForgotmyScreenName, Apr 8, 2010.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You will have to adjust your expecatations IMHO. Not a bad thing but a yard here is not like a yard there. Lots in Centro are tiny by US standards. And if you want a gated and walled house, as opposed to a condo/apt, I think for your budget, you will find the front of the property all paved and barely large enough for a full sized SUV, and a back yard in the 10-15 ft x 15-20 ft range, probably on the smaller end of that range.

Good luck, you will have adjustments to make but you will be fine if you learn to adjust. We all had to or leave. I am here 5+ years but still get back to FL pretty often. Next trip in June will include NYC where my baby girl just got transferred.

2. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do agree with Mixz1....it gets awfully tiedius to answer the exact same questions over and over again. When I was preparing to move I searched, and either brought an old post from the grave, or asked a new question...and most of mine had to do with my Dog...which were not asked previously. If you look at how many times in the last two months ppl asked about weather and pesos vs USD, it get's the ppl who know the answer not willing to answer anymore.

3. ForgotmyScreenName

ForgotmyScreenName Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i know what you mean..this is why my question was specific on what i was looking for ....best internet service to use because i work online.....and..english speaking cable tv with hbo..wich i cant find in the archives and nobody has answered me on yet LOL

Be glad people start new threads and ask questions..even if they are the same it keeps the board moving...if everyone who needed to find an answer just searched the forums first.. this board would move at a snails pace and half of you wouldnt be reading this post right now let alone visiting this board :doh:

4. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I pay $380 pesos a month for Cablemas service. It has cable (86 channels, including a bunch of English channels like Sony and Warner. Here you'll find most of the more popular American tv series, even if they play it 2 weeks later than it airs in the States) and it also has wireless internet. The internet is so-so reliable.

For internet access anywhere you go, my roommate pays about $50 USD a month for some sort of Telcel chip that gives you wireless anywhere in Cancun. It's very reliable.

SKY TV has the best channels, though. I think it's a dish.

5. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    (My Cablemas service is called "Yoo")

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,209 / 14
    C'mon guys lets try not push people away. I know it gets tedious sometimes (I must have answered 'what's the weather like?' on a daily basis for the last 6 years - and I get it via PM and email too!).

But sometimes the terms you need to search on are just so narrow; 'prodigy', 'cablemas' someone not already familiar with them wouldnt know what to search for, and sometimes searching broader terms 'internet in Cancun' would return many irrelevant threads.

Anyhow.

There are two practical ways of obtaining internet service. One is Prodigy Infinitum which is run by Telmex the Mexican telecoms operator. The other is Cablemas which is a cable service. I've used Prodigy for the last 6 years, and while speeds are low and prices high compared to other countries the uptime is great.

Satellite is possible as is one of those broadband dongle thingies but they each have downsides. For a residential based service Prodigy gets my vote.

Re TV. Mixz already mentioned Dish TV if you like American TV - I dont. We have SKY which has quite a few channels in English, and for some others that default to Spanish there is a button on the remote you can press to switch the language. Cablemas is another option for TV but I have not used their services. Overall TV is poor and is something you will probably learn to live without.

Also what I often use (since I'm a Brit) is a VPN which connects me to the UK via a UK IP address, this enables me to watch UK TV that is offered by all the UK terrestrial channels but is blocked to IP's outside the UK. You can also get VPN service for European countries too.

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First, the question about English language television was answered by me, including contact information for the guy who will do it for you. The answer also exists in the archives... over and over. hodamayo AT hotmail DOT com. Cablemas has limited English programming, usually one season behind the original broadcast date in the US.

Second, while your opinion of how a board works is partially true, if you spent some time reading you would see that this board moves very well on a myriad number of subjects that have little if anything to do with answering newcomers questions. That function is only a small part of the exchange of ideas, opinions and information that resides here.

8. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    at the risk of OFFENDING you, did you happen to look on this very page, towards the bottom for a post by Richard asking this very same question? Your answers are there.

9. Yellowsubmarie

Yellowsubmarie Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Live in Puerto Juarez

I work near Puerto Juarez. There are a couple of really nice communitys, you should check into. One being Quintas Del Mar these are ocean front homes. Or there is a gated community called Playa Blanca right across from the local beach Playa Ninos, which have playgrounds built on the beach. I am in that area a lot as well as know people renting in both of those communitys. They are within your price range and right now there are a lot of places for rent so I would definitely say take a look. Puerto Juarez is about 10 minutes from the hotel zone and downtown Cancun. Goodluck. :)

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get good at searching the archive of this site, there is a LOT of good info there. And that's not an attitude, it's just the truth.

And definitely come here to look for rentals, don't do more than get a sense of prices via the net. There are lots and lots of areas of this town that I would not want to live, but I wouldn't know that without looking at them in person. Come and look at 20 rentals before you decide, I'm not kidding.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice