Movie theater - in English

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mommy2allyandaveri, Jul 21, 2008.

1. mommy2allyandaveri

mommy2allyandaveri Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is there one in Cancun? We will be staying at the Riu Caribe and since we will be kidless we thought this would be a good time to catch a movie. Anyone know?

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All of them show movies in English with Spanish subtitles. The one in the hotel zone is Cinemark. Sometimes, very popular movies like Barman are "subtitulada" and "doblada" so make sure if there are two showing you get the "subtitulada."

http://www.cinemark.com.mx/index2.php

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I prefer the VIP at Plaza Las Americas. Big comfy chairs you can curl up in if you want. Downtown, across from the bull ring if coming from the hotel zone. Simple to take any bus downtown and get off at the second traffic circle, Avenida Tulum. A big Chedraui grocery on the far right corner. Grab a cab from there to Plaza las Americas for $20 pesos. Go in the mall and you will be facing another Chedraui. Make a right until the end where you would enter Dorian's a big dept store. Before going in make a right and there are escalators taking you up to the theaters. The only different experience is that you choose your seats when you buy your tickets (although you can do it online too) Row H (AH-chay) is about midway up and 7 & 8 are pretty much in the middle. But you can just point at the screen.

Sushi, fancy coffee, full bar all in the lobby plus normal snack bar stuff.

About $7 US per movie.

This does not apply to you since you are kidless but the kids' movies are always dubbed since the young ones cannot read fast enough to keep up.

Try http://www.cinepolis.com.mx/indexmx.asp

Oh yeah, take a cab back to Chedraui and grab the R-1 or R-15 back to the hotel zone. The taxis from the mall are like $30 or $35 pesos even though the ride is the same.

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Forgive me, but I just have to throw in my 2 cents here. Projectionists here in Cancun are about as well qualified as bus drivers. Having spent 33 years in motion picture production, I'm kind of sensitive to things like lip sync and light levels.

Lip sync, which is dependent on how a projector is threaded, is extremely negotiable here, and I've walked out of shows and gotten refunds because of mouths flapping in silence and words sounding when mouths aren't moving. As an aside, Sky TV, for different technical reasons, has a lot of lip sync problems as well.

Also, in an energy saving move probably coming from the same mindset as drivers who have one or no taillights, I have never seen a show in Cancun where the color is correct, because the house runs the projection lamps below the design voltage to extend lamp life. At 1500 to 3000 USD for a Xenon lamp, I can understand their motive, but if I can actually see the lamp filament projected onto the screen, I'm not going to continue watching.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Aw mix. You know of what you speak but the rest of us for the most part are laymen. Technical issues make me crazy but I am more critical of live performances, no matter where they are. But my standards for movies are quite a bit less than yours.

But we do have regular unleaded for under $2.60 per US gallon. And tacos for half the price of Taco Hell, I mean Bell.

And the ladies, for the most part, have made push up bras an art form.

So balancing out less than perfect movie technical issues and the street flooding during most rains, with cheap gas, cheap tacos and a new art form, to me that is a fair trade. What do you think amigo?

6. mommy2allyandaveri

mommy2allyandaveri Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks so much! The first link didn't work. The VIP sounds good, I just hope we can find it!

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I cannot watch a film if the sound isn't synced properly, it completely ruins the movie for me.

When MMCinemas first opened I was pretty happy with their theaters, and they are close to my house. But now I've seen 3 movies there that MELTED before I got to see the ending...

8. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Amen, bro. We decided to retire here after vacationing here. We have never looked back. Fortunately I still get my screeners, and I keep my home system tuned up. Life in Paradise tops the movies anytime!

9. julietravels

julietravels Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cancun Movie

Every Wednesday we go to the Cinemark Theatre at La Isla and pay 27 peso for a movie that is in English but subtitled in Spanish. We have never had a problem with the film not being of good quality. The temperature can be a problem. Sometimes it is freezing and sometimes it is comfortable. I always wear shorts, but bring jeans and a sweater to change into if it is too cold.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice