Mosquitos ?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Jul 31, 2008.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I feel badly for anyone who doesn't have good window screens right now. Weirdly we have a lot more mosquitoes around the house, but the number in the Parque Kabah seems to be the same as always.

I always carry repellent in the car. But lately we've needed to wear it at dusk, even at home. I think they come in the cat door...the price I pay for having 8 cats... Fortunately I've got lots of bottles of non-toxic repellent now so I don't feel too bad putting it on. [Can't find any repellent without deet in it here, but I bring the good stuff back from the US.]

2. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    God yes someone do something about the mozzies. I have been told I can't use repellant being pregnant, anyone know of a natural one that is available here?
    I'm being bitten all over all the time and we're in the process of fixing out mozzie window protectors so they get in the house, bedroom, everywhere.
    I did hear that supposedly from Monday they are supposed to be spraying with the trucks, I hope so!

3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Raid plug ins (laminitas) work quite well, we've been going through quite a few of them. It's rare to have to use them during the day, but yep, the mozzies are out in full force, day or night right now!

Jen, found this link with some ideas for natural repellents, hope it helps!

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthingswork/a/aa050503a.htm

4. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Kelly,
    Someone told me Listerine helps too - spraying it on that is not gargling it!!
    I can only imagine my dog wold try and lick it off again :lol:

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If I were pregnant I would not use the Raid Plugins. I've used them and feel my lungs burning after a day or two. I've got sensitive lungs, granted, but if I were pregnant on top of that I would not use them.

6. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just asked Aida, who works in the hopital and is Mexican and has lived here for over 40 years. She says make a spray of Vinegar of Manzana and you will be safe to use it.
    DO NOT USE COMERCIAL SPRAYS but then agian you already know that.
    For ants they use "Cal" it is simular to "Cemento Blanco" and can be purchased at any hardware store.
    Now the fact that it is so frickin' hot doesn't help being comfortable. Man, I don't know how far along you are, and of course being a guy, I can't imagine how miserable it would be this time of year. I can't even get in the car until after 6:00pm :cool:

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
  8. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yeah here too. They seem to be staying outside. Must be the warm moist and uncomfortable air. Well at least somone is enjoying it. :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice