MOSQUITOS!!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Epic

Epic Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    anyone ever tried filling a clear bag with water & hanging it?? personally i have never tried it but i know people who swear it works really well.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Costco is now carrying deet-free repellent, it is citronella based, and it works well. This is the first time I've ever found any deet-free stuff here, I've always had to bring my own in. It's located to the left of the Farmacia, on the wall. It's called Bye Bye.

I think the bags of water work on flies, not on mosquitoes, something about the water screwing with their vision and freaking them out.

Yolisto: Clever Expatriates Sharing Things and Ideas in Yucatan, Mexico has an article with directions for how to make really clever mosquito trap that uses carbon dioxide to attract the buggers. You need to be a member there to read the article, but I recommend reading it. You can find the article there by doing a site search for "mosquito trap."

3. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FWIW, the "spray truck", I think for mosquitoes, just went by my Casa.

Also I would like to mention that plain old dryer sheets are an effective measure against them too. I put a couple out in the front door entry way to keep the little suckers from congregating on the walls. You can also put them hanging out a pocket or draped on a belt loop or pet collar.

ETA: Yes, the water in a plastic bag with copper pennies is for flies and it does do something with their vision as they have multiple eyes IIRC.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Active suppression required

Yep, I saw it, too, Mole, just this evening. None of us like it, but active suppression is required, here, if the mosquito population is to be controlled. Allowing a break out would reveal that dengue fever, malaria and West Nile Fever are all present in this environment; but, it takes a chain of transmission, with the mosquito in the middle, for it to become a problem in the cities. With these measures being taken, mosquito borne disease remains largely, but not totally, in the background.

Visitors should use reasonable precautions, and not let themselves become a banquet for mosquitoes while they are here.

5. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've seen ByeBye here in PdC also - I think Chedraui.

6. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Extra cycles of spraying

The Health Department's getting serious about it, there was a second round of spraying in my neighborhood, today: that's two days in a row.

Today's Novedades stated that the Health Department had reported a four-fold increase in the number of dengue fever cases in the state, compared with the same period, last year; and, that a second cycle of spraying was underway.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  7. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @V: You wont believe this, but.. THEY SPRAYED OUR STREET!! Hahaha :)

Twice... 5am this morning, and then they just turned the corner and came back a second time.

Problem still remains though: They simply WONT touch the park...

Our new park-cop, Hector, who sits in our park daily, told me about the "torture" he goes through every day regarding the mosquitoes...

This is the first cop in our park who has NOT searched me and stolen dvds, USB sticks etc. Yaaay! :aktion030:

V, I might celebrate this evolutionary step tonight, hehe :)

Btw, my neighbor used to work in Fonatur. Shes is a Doctor(refuses to work the hours for the lousy pay Docs in Cancun get...) and she told me that they want people to OPEN their doors and windows when the truck passes, since the stuff they use is "harmless" to humans and will help kill the ones that are in your home.

Cant remember the name of what they use, but will ask her when I see her.

Im not prepared to trust them that much just yet... :icon_mrgreen:

Now I wish they would hit the park as its impossible to even run through it without getting 10-30 bites...

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah sure. I don't have any mosquitoes inside my house anyway, ain't no way I'm opening the windows to let that crap in.

9. kellygirl

kellygirl Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Definitely not. The spray truck here in PDC has a noise all its own, so we run to close the windows as soon as we hear that pump. It's getting so we can't use the pool with those darn skeeters. Been doing some research for mosquito-repellent plants, and will be purchasing lots of those seeds.

10. LFC2012

LFC2012 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mosquitos

:uk1:In liverpool,england we have our own research unit run by the national heatlh service doin studies,on everything from every snake living toevery spider living they done a tudie on mosquitos and sell mosquitos spray £5 pound beleive me it works, strangly they put there arm in a tube full ov mosquitos this stuff they sell ,mosquitos hate,look it up liverpool tropical of medicine its a university teaching doctors University of Liverpool - School of Medicine - School of Medicine

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice