MOSQUITOS!!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 17, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    PROMPTING ACTION

Rawkus, I'm nervous about suggesting anything, because I know you and your neighbors have tried hard to get a response to the problem at the park; but, since you now know the name of the head of the Second Sanitary Jurisdiction of the Health Dept (see above, in this thread, and begging your pardon, in advance, if he's the one you sent the complaint to, in the first place), why not try a letter to him, delivering the original to his office, and having the secretary stamp a copy, showing the letter was delivered. (I hear this last step is routine, in Mexican Government offices, and improves the chances of a response.) Good luck, in any case!

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @V: Thanks for the info/name of the fellow :)

Dont be nervous about suggesting anything - Any advise is helpful :)

Its just that they have to get it in their heads that its a mess out there.

While they are the ones yapping on about Dengue etc. , one would think that they, the same people, would do something about it :?

Its funny that not even the complaints from the municipal`s own workers, along with cops and the companies who are building new flats is opening any eyes/ears....

Its just a nightmare, and I really dont prefer to spray a lot of chemicals in and around the flat since we inhale the crap, plus that our two dogs might suffer from it as well.

One simple thing to start with: Cut the damn grass! Once you step on the lawn(well, jungle rather ;)) you see the mozzies scatter, only to swing back and literally attack you.

I have covered up myself and left only the face open not to boil to death, but I end up with some 20-30 bites in a 3 min walk - not joking :shock:

Now, the few times during my almost 3 years here that the truck actually have showed up, it only sprays the parking lot(I mentioned it earlier...) There are no trees, no real drains - no nada :roll:

They should go for the mother ship - the park.

Back home in Sweden we used to go up north fishing.

Upwards the mosquito problem is really bad during summer.

Since its national park area, the government are not allowed to use harmful chemicals, so instead the use a 100% biodegradable and naturally made dish wash.

It destroys the surface tension(is that the proper term?) and so any existing larvae drown, so does the mosquitoes who try to lay there eggs in these waterholes.

In 12 years they have not found any impact on any other animals that live in the area. The birds that used to feed of them still arrive and breed in stable numbers. The fish numbers are looking the same as before the operations started.

The best part? The mosquito numbers are down a LOT! :)

Friends who still go to the same areas to fish, dont use mosquito nets, hats etc. anymore :)

Maybe they should do some research and if possible, try it here in the lagoons?

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yeah, Rawkus, that sounds like a great approach to controlling mosquitoes, there, in Sweden; but, of course, you're talking about a country at the top tier of wealth, and development. I have no idea if this approach is used anywhere in Mexico. Mexico has, by international treaty, agreed to eliminate the use of DDT in mosquito eradication campaigns, so the problems associated with DDT are now less of an issue, at least.

The truck driving through your neighborhood, spraying, is typical of "area" spraying, used to kill mosquitoes over a large territory. But, the truck can only go where the streets go and, it's obvious from what you've said, that it's not enough, in your neighborhood.

The improvement here, where I live, from the recent, one-time, extra area spraying that was done- combined with the campaign to eliminate standing water around people's homes- is now very apparent. There may be one or two mosquitoes around my front door, now, where there were ten, or more, before. They still follow us in, but fewer make it indoors, and it doesn't usually take too long for them to attempt their last bite.

(Recently, I've noticed that, when I move my shoes, an occasional mosquito will fly out, in keeping with this species love of the smell of feet!, which has been mentioned several times, on this thread.)

As for your concern about using insecticides in your home, I agree with you, completely: insecticide should always be used as a last resort, and proportionately to the health risk. Unless, for some reason which cannot be controlled, there are large numbers of mosquitoes indoors, or there exists a heightened danger of mosquito borne disease, it's not usually necessary.

I've seen situations in which there was a problem with mosquitoes, indoors, and found that the a/c outlets and the ducting that connected the system, was the route the mosquitoes had used to enter a room. Putting netting over the outlets offered a solution to the problem.

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The impact of the stepped up eradication campaign is really obvious around here, now: there are simply no mosquitoes. I tested it this AM by walking in Puerto Juarez, and didn't have a single mosquito come after me. A few weeks ago, it would have been hell.

The health authorities may have learned their lesson from that 1999-2000 breakout of the mosquito population which led to there being a few cases of malaria in travelers returning home from Cancun, mentioned earlier in this thread.

Active measures are required at all times, in places where mosquito borne diseases are present, as here, with malaria, dengue and West Nile Encephalitis in the environment; but, even more so, when there is a threat of a breakout. This time, they took vigorous action to stifle it, early on, with a nice result.

5. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: That sounds good.

Our park is untouched when it comes to fighting mosquitoes... still :(

The cars could easily get there since similar repair cars, cop cars etc drive in and through the park daily.

Maybe they just got sick of our complaints? :lol:

Regarding Sweden: The thing is that the simple solution was regular biodegradable dish-wash :)

We buy the similar one here, so it exists, and its WAY cheaper than using expensive chemicals, for sure.

I wonder if they would be interested in this?

Im sure they would consider it if they knew about it.

6. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have quite a stash - do you still need some? I think I have Herbal Armour.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kathy - Welcome home chica! I do not need deet-free bug repellent at the moment, I stocked up when I went north in November. thanks anyway.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Well, we've now moved much closer to Rawkus' neighborhood and have, for the first time, mosquitoes that bite in the dark! That hadn't been an issue at the two other places we've lived in Cancun.

We talked earlier about how mosquitoes don't just vary in size and coloration, but they also vary in behavior, including when and where they bite. These that are biting at night don't mind at all biting on the face, and hands!

The ones that bit only when there was light in the room, or outdoors during times when it was light out, weren't there to disturb our sleep, like these can.

This cooler weather we're now having won't guarantee any reduction in the mosquito population, and the rains have continued.

Fortunately, the city is keeping up its spraying program; I've seen the trucks go by 2X this month, already.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Dengue 2010

The public health department reports that there have been 66 suspected cases of dengue fever in Cancun so far this year, two of which were confirmed by laboratory analysis, and more of the dengue carrying mosquitoes are being caught in traps set up to monitor their numbers (Novedades, 5 February). It was also said that, normally, this time of year, no cases would be seen, it being the "dry" season.

The mosquitoes most responsible for dengue, mainly aedes aegypti, tend to bite during daylight hours and indoors, at night, in rooms where the lights are on. In the dark, they tend to rest on walls, both indoors and out.

Dengue fever can be fatal. The best treatment is prevention: taking mosquitoes seriously, using mosquito repellent and not allowing them to freely feed on you, is your best defense.

According to the health department, if you have the following symptoms you are advised to seek medical attention: fever and headache.

For those who would like a little more specific information about what to watch for, we have this-

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    City

Rain = mosquitoes, and that's what we've got, again, serious numbers of them, clinging to the walls just outside my front door! Once again, I'll be spraying those walls outdoors, where they like to rest.

Hope the city gets busy with an extra cycle of spraying, soon, like they did the last time we had a breakout of the mosquito population.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice