MOSQUITOS!!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 17, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    MOSQUITO ERADICATION CAMPAIGN INTENSIFIES

The Health Dept has intensified its efforts to eradicate the dengue carrying mosquito, according to reports in Novedades. They quote the chief of the Second Sanitary Jurisdiction, Antonio Coronado Rojas, as saying the team of 500 health workers sent out earlier (and mentioned in this thread) will soon have completed visits to 20,000 households, looking for standing water that could harbor mosquito larva. The same article mentioned that, of the 20,000 households visited, 12,000 of them had been "treated." [Ed.- standing water "sprayed," perhaps, if it could not be drained? See Steve's post, below which may/may not, be such an example.]

He is also quoted as saying that he has issued instructions for an "extraordinary cycle of spraying to be carried out during the period from 11 November to 16 November," in an effort to eradicate the dengue carrying mosquito. [Ed.- probably referring to the spraying that takes places from trucks on the streets of Cancun, while we sleep, done routinely as a measure to suppress the mosquito population. In all likelihood, he means an "extra" cycle of spraying, in addition to that already on the schedule.]

Perhaps we'll begin to see some results from this effort, soon.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Re: MOSQUITO ERADICATION CAMPAIGN INTENSIFIES

We see them about twice a year, they make us empty watering cans we use daily, yet our next door neighbours have a neglected swimming pool 3 feet deep in stagnant water and it's been there two years.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    MAKES YOU WONDER, DOESN'T IT?

Sounds inept, and just a little annoying! But, this way, they probably got to "tick off" your house as both visited, and "treated"!

By the way, Steve, have you noticed any improvement, now that they made you empty your buckets!!?? :lol:

About your neighbor, I wonder if they may not have sprayed the surface of the water in the (cess)pool next door, in an effort to kill any mosquito larvae that might have been enjoying the nice, "natural" conditions that existed there, before their visit.

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    EXTRAORDINARY!

Looks like the "extraordinary cycle" of spraying for mosquitoes by the city which was scheduled for the 11th to the 16th of November may have had the desired effect. We still have more mosquitoes than I would like, but there are far fewer of them, here at our place, than there were before. You can actually get in and out of our apt, now, without being mobbed!

5. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @V: Good for you! :mad:

We are still waiting, 78 days to be precise, for the "truck of terror"(they seem to LOVE to spray people going and coming from their cars... No warning, just "schhhhhhhhh!" )

And, the neighborhood is still waiting, approx 5 months now, to hear back from the Municipal regarding "why dont you spray our park??!!"... Nada :roll:

Funny how they seem to think that the mozzies live on the parking lot, which by the way has no visible drains at all, while the park is infested and the grass similar to a jungle :cool:

Taking the dogs out has now become a thing very similar to Usain Bolt.

"Ok girls, you have precisely 1 min to do your business.. GO GO GO !!" :lol:

6. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It seems the trucks have forgotten that the Puerto Juarez/ Punta Sam area is part of Cancun.

There are millions of them, it is impossible to be out from ~5 to 8 pm, and they must be regretting that I am leaving, they love me (or show me their love :mad: ) much more than the previous years.
    Hmmm... it is NOT reciprocal :evil:

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Jenlieb, there's probably no hope for you! First, there's that enormous lagoon, just west of Puerto Juarez, with all its vegetation; then, the City of Benito Juarez ends just north of there, and a new jurisdiction takes over- Isla Mujeres, I think- and it may not be part of the Second Sanitary Jurisdiction where the extra spraying was said to be taking place; finally, there's all that undeveloped land, with it's forests, to the north and west from Puerto Sam. I suppose nobody's going to be spraying those. I feel for you, girl. Try everything I suggested, earlier in this thread: maybe it'll help, some....

8. jenleib

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess there is no hope!!! :lol: and not only for that :cry:

My place is in the Municipio of Benito Juarez, Isla Mujeres starts much further down the road. I know what you mean (lagoon and jungle). Still, it is the first year there are so many, and in the morning too I noticed yesterday.

I have some sprays, they bite anyway. Garlic... Brkkk :wink:

Thanks for all your help

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Jenlieb, I was referring, in part, to some of my earlier suggestions about how to use insecticides, around the house, taking advantage of these mosquitoes lack of mobility in the dark. Turn off the lights, and later, when you turn them back on, you can sometimes find where they like to rest, on your walls, inside. Lightly, but completely spraying the walls where you found them resting can help (it's usually from about waist high, on up: unfortunately, they also like to rest on the ceilings, a much harder place to spray without getting insecticide all over yourself, unless you use a ladder, or stand on a chair).

Then, do the same thing, outside, near your entrances, waiting until you find them resting, and spraying all the walls and ceilings that seem to be their favorite resting places, at a time when it's not too windy (again, to avoid getting over much insecticide on yourself).

For sitting outdoors, I find mosquito coils work pretty well: I usually position four to five of them on a perimeter around where we're going to be sitting, at least a full ten minutes ahead of time. This will buy you almost perfect freedom from being bitten, as it first immobilizes them, then kills them. Either way, they aren't biting. (These coils emit an insecticide, so don't use them indoors, and don't breathe the smoke, directly, even if you like the smell of them- which I do.)

Last, spraying your own shrubbery can help keep the immediate vicinity of your apt relatively mosquito free: I often ask our gardener to do it, here, and it makes a difference. He uses an insecticide you add to water, then put in an attachment to the garden hose.

Always annoying, they've been especially bad the last few weeks: I'm just sorry you haven't seen an improvement from the extra efforts the health dept has been making there, where you are. Good luck with any measures you decide to take against them: they deserve it, blood thirsty little....

10. jenleib

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hello,

That's nice of you!

I don't have so many inside the apartment, they invite themselves when I open the door (which I have to do once in a while :wink: ). I have mosquito screens on every window.

but they attack full strength when I go from my apartment to my car.... then get inside the car. The sprays don't do a lot.

Since I live in a condo, I can't spray much around. The gardener should do it, he used to do a general desinfection... pero ahora no hay dinero... so...

This wave of heat is unbelievable, I hope it won't last long, and also I won't be here for long either. I might regret them :roll: It was more a comment than a complaint :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice