More Telcel questions

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by ToriB, Dec 14, 2009.

1. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Telcel office located in La Isla is much less busy than the Tulum office and being in the high-roller zone has lots of English speaking reps, obviously to deal with the tourists. I've never faced a line there and they even helped me out with an unlocked phone I brought in from Europe, getting on to their system for email, etc.

2. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We've been out of the country for 3 months - what is the registration requirement? We just recargoed our phones (gotta love Soriana - points card makes it so you don't even have to know your phone number) and had no problem - have been using them...

I know it has something to do with narcos and throwaway phones but I don't really want to go to the TelCel office if I don't have to.

3. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, because they always uses their personal (registered, non-stolen) phone for that business.... :roll:

Basically if you have to give Telcel your info related to your "curp" so that they can associate the phone with a known inhabitant of Mexico. If you don't have a "curp", you could probably just ask a Mexican friend to put it under their name... they might have some other procedure for tourists who want to have phones... but you'd have to ask. They check the info that you send against the government database to make sure it matches.

You can do the process online or via text messages, below is the start page for that process (Spanish) click the link on the word "Internet" near the end of the paragraph and it starts a wizard that you can fill out.

http://tinyurl.com/y8h3fv7

Supposedly they were going to disable phones that were not legally registered, but I haven't heard anyone mention that they actually have started doing that. Most people agree that its pretty stupid and not going to prevent any crime, but most things that governments do ARE stupid.. so...... :roll:

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus - I think you need to call TelCel and tell them to disable your voicemail. It takes something like 48 hours to take effect.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There goes Rivergirl with her double talk again.

6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RG: Thanks, will do. cant wait to get rid of it :)

T.J.: Hahaha :)

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry about double-posting...the board was being slow and weird, so I guess I hit Submit twice...I got an error msg and actually thought that neither post had worked...

So how to I delete the extra post?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice