more tech help

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by johndish, Apr 30, 2007.

1. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wife's computer is running terribly. I have added adware and reg mechanic. The start up is very slow as I think she has a ton of programs that are opening at start up. Where can i see what is coming on at start up and change those?

Tech help here in the states is far too expensive....

2. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Click on "START", then click "RUN", type in " msconfig " (no quotes) then select the "start up" tab. This will list all the programs that are initialized at startup and you can un-check those you do not want. Be careful and make sure you know what you are deselecting. After that, re-boot.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    John - Also you might want to install Spybot Search & Destroy (Google for it, it's free), which will kill off spyware that adaware doesn't get. Be sure to use the "immunize" function after you clean up your infections.

4. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    John,

Trying to guess what the problem might be and installing a fix for exactly that will lead you to hours of frustration and generally less effective results than you might have gotten in the same amount of time if you do it right.

Installing a spyware preventer as RG said is a good idea, but it's not likely to do you much good until (and unless) you get the system cleaned up first.

Msconfig is a nice utility for those that have some experience, but will also allow you to accidentally remove utilities that your computer needs to run.

(my favorite writeup on msconfig is at http://www.networkclue.com/os/Windows/commands/msconfig.aspx)

I just recently left a message at
    http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=557855#557855
    that provide automated cleaning and streamlining that you can use (might even want to use) regularly to keep everything tuned up. Unfortunately, if you've let things go for too long, you'll need to perform step 3 of the process, which is basically a complete software refurb - but if you do that and then use one of the comprehensive problem prevention programs listed in step #2 before you do anything else, an occasional step #1 (auto update) plus an overnight hard drive defrag should be all you need to do from that day forward to assure continued optimal performance.

5. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    John,

Would by any chance Yolanda's comp and mine be connected together in the same network? :evil:

Mine is awfully slooooooooooow, and it seems more and more. Today, I cannot even connect to my banks, my IDs are lost before the green bar completes! :doh: Let's not talk about a Skype call!!! The second one doesn't even want to connect, although all lights are on.

I did a Ccleaner, and what Frank suggests. Don't worry, if you delete too many, you are warned (actually, I think it is through a kind of anti- something program). Nothing changed.

The techs are very expensive in the US and totally uncompetent here. Fortunately, there are some very nice and helpful people on this board. :D

Would anyone want 2 computers that I am going to throw out of the window??? Arrrggg.... Along with alllllll the Prodigy techs :mad:

6. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    there were some guys in my office building in plaza del conde #42 nader 2-a that would always fix my computers super cheap.... i forget the name but,, they were on third floor....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice