More killed

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by afrazier5, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reefer

Reefer Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well put Steve...

2. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just another example of slanted news media reporting in the US. This particular article isn't even subtle with the animosity against Mexico/Mexicans as evidenced by the rhetorical questions/comments in the article.

I my opinion; murder is murder.. everything else (beheading... and now de-hearting) is just theatrics to get news attention.

While I won't suggest that Mexico doesn't have a problem, I do think its fair to point out in the area around Cancun, the instances of violent crimes are no higher than (and are in fact much lower than) most cities of comparable sizes in the US. Its also important to point out that "Cancun" is often incorrectly named as the site of such things that happen within a several hundred mile radius. I'll also mention that the "American's" whom have been killed in the drug violence taking place in Northern Mexico are almost exclusively Mexican-American's who are living in Mexico and are more-than-likely directly involved with the drug industry. With the exception of the consulate workers who were (apparently) targeted for some reason earlier this year, its exceedingly uncommon for foreigners to be among the victims of the drug related violence.

Point being, Cancun is as safe as it ever was for tourists if not more so, and the biggest dangers are incidences resulting from excessive alcohol and a lack of common sense. If you want to lock youself in your hotel room you may, but theres also no reason not venture out if you are so inclined.

3. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As I've said before, I'm constantly amazed that more tourists don't drown while here given the amount of alcohol consumed and the sometimes strong surf.

With the way the taxis and buses drive I'm also surprised that the vehicular deaths are so low.

4. diamondheaded

diamondheaded I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    nice report

i wonder why they dont ever even mention this on the evening news ??????

just a shame you actually have to research to find real news

basically what one gets is a ton of sensationalism and that is one of the main reasons i never watch the news because they very rarely if ever actually report the news the way it is

they just find a story and turn it into something it is not - kinda like my ex used to do with everything

rob

5. ncsurf

ncsurf Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree that is some hardcore stuff right there but I don't think the drug cartel's are just looking for random tourist to murder in caves carve Z's in their bodies. I agree I bet they were locals that had bad blood with the cartel's for some reason. I say if you are worried don't go on any cave excursions and just chill at the resort. I felt safer in Cacun than I do in my downtown area of Wilmington, NC at night, pretty sad to say but it's the truth.

6. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Don't stay in your resort the surrounding area is too beautiful to ignore and it IS safe.
    Tracey

7. Allergictocoldweather

Allergictocoldweather Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think the facts Steve posted speak for themselves. I am from Louisiana and visited Cancun two years ago when the media was really going crazy with warnings. I will say that I felt much safer there than I have the last two times I've been out on Bourbon Street in NOLA. The same rule applies everywhere. Be smart, be aware of your surroundings, don't go looking for trouble and ENJOY YOUR VACATION to the fullest!!!! Sometimes I believe the media here tries to put the fear of crossing the border into people to keep them spending vacation money at home.

8. Bama-fan

Bama-fan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. Geo

Geo Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Where do I live?

I live in one of the largest cities in the world.

* We invented the drive-by shooting.
    * Our government leaders buy there positions and are not elected.
    * Our police force uses torture to get confessions.
    * Crimes committed per square mile = 766 , national average 49.6 .
    * Total "reported" murders last year 596.
    * I live within 30 miles of all these crimes

Would I like move away? You bet your a$$

Where would I like to live? Cancun, MX

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Yep 12 more bodies found.

This arises from 9 drug cartel hitmen who were arrested three days ago and no doubt confessed their crimes, and victims locations. Those guys were from out of town and were sent here to do the job they obviously did. Namely, secure drug distribution and reduce opposition to it for their cartel from those that wanted to control it themselves.

I speak to different Cancun expats daily and, with the odd hysterical exception, no one is really worried about it because if you're not involved in the drug trade you're 99.999% not at risk.

And that's the people that live here, tourists are at even less of a risk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice