More Coronavirus Debate

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Jen&Kyle, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,611 / 14
    I agree with you... people disagree with hot pink being an acceptable cowboy hat color.

2. FakeNewsTeam

FakeNewsTeam It's a matter of time, but time is all we have! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,598 / 13
    Yeah, John but even you will not be able to miss me;)

3. The Gringos

The Gringos Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    Some more information regarding health insurance and costs in Cancun and area:

– COVID-19 tests: From 1,250 pesos (57 USD) to 4,000 pesos (182 USD)
    – Regular treatment without complications: 435 thousand pesos (20,000 USD)
    – Treatment with insurance: 222 thousand pesos (10,000 USD)
    – Patient in ICU: 920 thousand pesos (42,000 USD)
    – Intubated patient: 947,000 pesos (43,000 USD)
    – Ambulatory treatment: 14,449 pesos (680 USD)

"Besides, insurance companies do not cover everything, only the treatment, explained the receptionist by phone. If the patient arrives at the emergency room, the family must deposit 15,000 pesos; if hospitalization is required, 80,000 pesos. The costs per day are from 35,000 to 50,000 pesos.

But if it gets complicated and has to be transferred to intensive care, the advance payment to be made is 100,000 pesos and, from then on, each day costs 50,000 to 80,000 pesos. The doctor’s fees are paid separately.

Karen Segura said that when her mother became ill, she took her to an ISSSTE clinic; however, the lack of medication to treat the coronavirus forced her to transfer her mother to a private hospital.

“At the beginning, we had to pay a deposit of 300 thousand pesos, because if you don’t pay, they don’t receive the patient, even if it’s serious. We spent a total of 700,000 pesos. My mother was in the hospital for 14 days, they did studies, and they also intubated her, we took her to the ISSSTE, but they told us that they did not have the antivirals that are being effective for COVID-19. We had to use all the family’s credit cards, and now we are about to sell our cars because we are still paying off the debt. My mother passed away on June 25,” he told El Financiero newspaper"

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    We paid 900 Pesos (40 USD) for two

5. FakeNewsTeam

FakeNewsTeam It's a matter of time, but time is all we have! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,598 / 13
    Rayanne and I had the anti-body test yesterday for $10 each at Lab Core in San Antonio.
    Just got the results, both negative.

Of course, we have not been sick either.

We had assumed we have been around enough (we have travelled and flown much and had a lot of close contact...not social distancing per se, including TTR in June, that we may have picked up some passive immunity.

Who knows, cannot really trust the tests from our inside sources.

But we are also happy to have not been sick and hope we do not have to experience the sickness.

6. Phu Chau

Phu Chau Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +239 / 0
    Steve! Do you have any recommendation for travel insurance that cover Covid and will be accepted in Cancun? We are traveling in 3 weeks from California.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Afraid not.

As a Brit living in Mexico, I don't know anything about US Insurance - except that it's expensive :)

8. The Gringos

Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    The timeframe might hurt you. PM me and I can send you some great contacts. Be warned though, it's expensive - few companies will do it and they essentially expect you to get sick. But it's either that or 100k US debt. Are you American or Canadian? This makes a huge difference right now

9. The Gringos

Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    Highly specific and fantastic coverage can usually be done through World Nomads or a similar traveler specific brokerage. But they are currently very cautious to cover anyone traveling from the US or anyone who has been in the US in the past 2 weeks. Brazil and South Africa are a few others, I think Spain now too.

**EDIT**

Good news for Americans, they've started covering you as well. This is an amazing service, they've covered some of my crazier adventures.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQs

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  10. ltsjeep

ltsjeep Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0
    I purchased travel insurance through USAA affiliate. Cost me about $135 for the 7 days I will be there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice