More Coronavirus Debate

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Jen&Kyle, Jun 30, 2020.

1. MNnice

MNnice Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +375 / 0
  2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Africa has a population of 1.2 Billion, close to that of India and that of China. 3.6X that of the US, 9X that of Mexico, and 18x that of the UK.

Not doing bad really.

Would be interesting to know their figures for HIV, Malaria, TB and Dysentery.

I could go look them up but it's late. Maybe tomorrow :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  3. Spicy

Spicy Spicy is the Variety of Life Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,263 / 3
    Ola sexies! I'm sorry, I just saw this post!

4. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,611 / 14
    You missed my actual point. The below sentence sums it up nicely:

"The average EVD case fatality rate is around 50%. Case fatality rates have varied from 25% to 90% in past outbreaks."

From Ebola virus disease

So, Ebola at maybe 50% fatality, as compared to something which we now know is way, way below 1%. That is my point. People still are dying, I get it. But it's not the same, not even in the same galaxy.

5. MandEOntario

MandEOntario Addict Registered Member

West of Toronto; Empty nesters with a hot tub
    Ratings:
    +2,674 / 4
    @Stacia_and_John agreeing with you. It does not seem appropriate to compare COVID to Ebola. Less-developed countries remain so disadvantaged in fighting their respective spreads of COVID-19, so perhaps that is the corollary. Don't know.

Hopefully you'll agree it's important that we all stay committed in following COVID-19 transmission prevention best practices in helping to minimize the spread, irrespective of political stripe or whether it's rampant in your geography or not. We're still all in this together and as you'd know, not out of the woods yet. ... 138,000 deaths in the U.S. and 3.5million cases ... 1 out of 100 Americans are testing positive. So troubling for affected individuals and families, especially for those who have lost a loved one.

Here in the Toronto area, the curve is flattening and restrictions are very slowly being eased, but masks are now the law for indoor public spaces... e.g. stores, malls, restaurants, public transit, aircraft, workplaces, etc. ... all intended to minimize the risks of a second wave later in the year along with seasonal influenza. Life goes on, and we're all doing our best to adapt and accept these realities. Hey, we all had to get used to wearing seat belts, motorcycle helmets and random roadside police checks for drunk driving/open liquor, safe vehicles, etc.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  6. The Gringos

The Gringos Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    Being Canadian, and being surrounded by a lot of Americans, Europeans and locals, there is a very distinct difference between Americans and everyone else regarding their views towards Covid. Toronto logic doesn't translate, unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  7. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,611 / 14
    Here in Harris County, Texas, testing has skyrocketed, free testing sites springing up all over the place, so people are finding out all the time they are positive. Positivity rates jumping, spiking, surging... whatever you want to call it.

And, a Doctor came out saying, as for COVID patients, we're fine, running below our capacity and it appears that they will continue so doing.

So you know, Gov. Abbott instituted a statewide (and for Texas that's a very "wide") mandatory mask order back a bit... maybe two weeks-ish? Social distancing protocols in place everywhere. Purel dispensers next to almost every business'es entry/exit doors. Handwashing happening more and more (I think the magic is actually there, in the washing of hands, myself... transmission by touch is exponentially higher for any pathogen, right...)... so... I would think that you don't need to continue your lesson plan. We get it, we've gotten it, and we're going to continue doing it.

And with all the false positive results, intentional and unintentional, who actually knows what the real rates are.

138,000/330,000,000 = 0.0004181 = 0.04181% (and going up, I get it).

8. Garry n Jo

Garry n Jo Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +677 / 9
    I AM OVER IT ALL! If I want or feel the need to protect myself I will do so the best way I see fit. A stupid cloth mask is not going to protect me at all. And honestly I think my wife and I already had this COVID 19 back in January this year.

9. LEMO

LEMO Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +353 / 0
    Honestly, I think we had it in January as well.

However, the mask isn’t intended to protect the wearer... it about protecting everyone else from you, right?

10. The Gringos

The Gringos Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    You can get it more than once

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice