Moped rental

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by flyinmonkey, Jan 10, 2007.

1. flyinmonkey

flyinmonkey Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We will be staying at the Royal Solaris Cancun. Has anyone rented mopeds in that area before? Any suggestions on places to ride them?

2. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    personally I wouldnt do it!! Police are really strict about driving in cancun, they will ticket you for anything, and this means making you pay a LOT so you dont have to go to jail. Also, drivers are bad in cancun, there are MANY accidents, and being on a moped only increases your risk! Work to the wise, i would pass!

3. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If moped drives are on your "to-do" list you might be able to do so on nearby Isla Mujeres. Most turistas like the golf cart rentals there instead, but I believe there are moped rentals, too. Traffic is so much better there and if you are already adept at driving mopeds then there's no reason not to drive 'em on Isla.

4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with everything posted. Mopeds are popular but dangerous driving on the streets of Cancun. Definitely head to Isla Mujeres if some two wheel excitement is what you are looking for.

5. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Agreed - for every reason mentioned - and in spades.

If your thoughts are simply centered around the joys of sightseeing from the seat of a scooter, do it on Isla Mujeres - a 15-20 minute ferry ride from Puerto Juarez - which you can get to by riding the R-1 bus that has "Puerto Juarez" painted on the front windshield to the last stop or second last stop (there's a ferry to Isla available at each). The island is a fun place to ride scooters and FAR more forgiving than Cancun.

For other times, when just getting from point A to point B in Cancun is the main concern, I cannot overstress the super value associated with taking the bus. -- Yes, the bus, as in public transportaion. There is only 1 street (really) that goes through the entire "7" (Cancun is shaped like a seven) which includes the hotel zone and convention center areas, so if the start and end of your trip are both within the "7" - you cannot possibly get lost. The bus is cheap - 6.5 pesos, which translates into about 60 cents. What you'll find on the bus is the wonderful thing about Cancun - everyone, the driver, the passengers - everyone is of a like mind in wanting you to have the best time you can have and achieve whatever it is you want to during your stay. Many times when riding the bus I've made an offhand comment about not beig exactly sure where to get off and effective help was immediately proferred from numerous persons nearby.

6. flyinmonkey

flyinmonkey Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the responses. We are going to Isla Mujeres, so that might be an option for the mopeds.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice