Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort ***** AI

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I wish Moon Palace would offer free shuttle service to Puerto Morelos. It's so close by, after all. I guess the only way you can get there is by taxi, or if you can catch a bus/collectivo on the highway running south from Cancun. They don't come up to the lobby entrance as far as I know, as there's that mile-long (it feels) driveway from the highway to the resort itself. Check with guest services about possible arrangements (they will try to reach you anyways to set up a timeshare spiel).

2. ettenyl

ettenyl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    any recent visitors

Has anyone recently been to the Moon Palace? I know some people who have booked a trip there, but now they're really worried because of some bad reviews online.

Does anyone have a real status report of the resort? How much construction is still underway, if there are power problems, anything like that?

They're going through Sunquest, and haven't found much info at all from Sunquest (they tell you anything to keep you from cancelling), and first hand knowledge is the best kind :)

3. Michael F.

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Send a PM to Dennis. His group should have returned by now from the MP yesterday or the Sunday before (I forgot which Sunday). He promised is a trip report, anyways... :)

4. Danirose

Danirose Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Which side of the hotel is were the swing bar is ?

5. Michael F.

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Sunrise. I didn't get to swing by that bar, but went straight to the beach. Depending on where you decide to camp out on the beach, you may find a lovely waitress on the beach taking your drink orders.

6. Dennis

Dennis Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Trip report

We are back from the Moon Palace and are ready to go back to Cancun. What a great place to hold a meeting. I even attended a few of the seminars. It rained a little while we were there so we were inside anyway.

The airport was a piece of cake. No long lines and just a few of the time share people inside. Of course the person I was traveling with got the lucky red light so that did delay us a little. We had used Brant for our travel and could not believe they were still waiting for us. Our plane was 30 minutes late getting to the airport and then the added inspection added another 15 minutes.

Somehow I messed up with the travel dates for the meeting and got to Cancun a day before the meeting. Darn, I hate it when that happens. So we got rooms in Playa del Carmen for the night and enjoyed a great meal on 5th avenue and had drinks in the underground cavern. Found a swing bar on the beach and enjoyed the view. Woke up the next day looking out over the blue water to see two cruise ships, what a sight.

We hated to leave PCD, but we headed to the MP to show up for our meeting. We were staying on the Sunrise side. All the rooms face the ocean and all the rooms have a hammock. They did take the 4 liquor bottle dispensers out of the rooms.

The vegetation is returning, but there is still signs of what happened by Wilma. Once inside the MP, you had to look up in the foyer to see any damage. They did have workers putting a new roof on the convention site. You could see them but you could not hear them. They were making palapas by the water on the north end of the property. It looked like they were making around 20 a day. It was amazing.

I brought with me $400.00 in two dollar bills. If you go, bring some 2’s for tips. There is not a bartender at the MP that did not get one or more. By the second day, all I had to do was walk towards a bar and they had my drink ready for me. We closed up the swing bar on the second night and they were still making me drinks after they had stopped serving everyone else. It was great.

There is so much to do at the MP. They have all new Cats’, kayaks and wave runners. They had 3 boats doing the parasailing thing. The pier is gone, but they just ferried the people out all day long. There were plenty of kids playing in the pool and in the arcade room. I did not see any weddings going on, but there were plenty of pink arm bands. I saw one couple that I hope they had been there for a week already and the day I saw them was there first day out. She was so red she was going to have to sleep standing up. Ouch that must have been painful.

The food was somewhere between wonderful and awesome. It’s hard to sit down to that kind of great food and service and then just get up and leave. I did get used to it, and I always left a few 2’s. Everything is so clean and they went out of their way to be friendly.

We did take the shuttle to the other side one day to see how it looked. You could hardly tell any damage was done on that side either. We had to try out a few of the bars over there to make sure they were as friendly as the Sunrise side; they were. It did not look like the dive pool was operating but I did see divers in the pool on the Sunrise side. Aqua World was in full swing.

The place is so big; it was nice to see those ladies to the left of Aqua World just waiting for me. A one hour massage was needed. Did I mention how bad it is to hold a meeting at the MP? The only disturbing thing I saw was a new sign installed by the woman’s bathroom. The last time I was there they had a sign posted that said “Please, no topless by the pool; use the beach”. It has been replaced with “NO TOPLESS”.

The beach was much bigger and cleaner from the last time we were there. The ocean was still the same. I did see a couple of people in the water. Not sure why, it looked dirty. Until someone removes that reef off shore, it will stay that way I think. That is what someone told me anyway. I was also told the big pool held over 1 million gallons of water, that thing is huge. The hotel staff had something planned almost all the time at the pool. The water balloon fight was just down right fun. Plus I had not been to the swim up bar yet and did not want to leave anyone out. Wet two dollar bills still work.

Well, I had messed up our return flight to San Diego. I need more practice with scheduling. Brant had his guy at the hotel right on schedule to take us to downtown Cancun for Saturday night. We had a perfect spot right on the ocean. Here the beach was perfect and the water was nice and warm. All the bars were within walking distance and very happy to see a tourist or two. I had to check out Hooters to see what it was like in Mexico. Hey, someone from there needs to visit Hooters in the United States. I’ve seen more reveling tops in church.

Time to come home and Brant had his guy there right on time for the short ride to the airport.

I want to go back to Cancun. [url]http://www.ai-services.com/Cancun/index.htm .[/url]

Dennis

7. Michael F.

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Dennis, thanks for your report...I saw you lurking around a day or so ago, so I was waiting in eager anticipation. Are you saying all Sunrise rooms have direct, unobstructed views of the water? I didn't think that when I was there. The map of the place makes it seem even more difficult to get that view:
    http://www.palaceresorts.com/Images/PropertyMaps/MoonPalaceMap.pdf

8. Dennis

Dennis Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think I should go back to the MP and double check :D The way it is layed out, I'm pretty sure each room has a view of the ocean. The view from my room did have an ocean view, just not a very large view. The person I was traveling with was on the other side across the hall and she had a fantastic view of the ocean.

9. Michael F.

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Which building were you in? This would give me an better idea of where you were on the property. And, yeah...I'd love the opportunity to go back and double-check for myself :D

10. Denise-n-Jayson

Denise-n-Jayson Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can tell you for certain that not ALL rooms have an ocean view.

This was the view from our room when we went in 2004, last year, we had a much better room !!

The buiding you see in the back is the convention center. Those of you that have been there know that you can't possibly see the ocean from that vantage point.

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice