Monthly Rental in the HZ????? Ahhhhhgrrrrrrr

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by raretail, Jun 14, 2007.

1. raretail

raretail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :banghead:

:mad:

I have talked to realtors, sent 1.7million VRBO emails...looked through Novedades (OK OK...I am chicken to call a Mexican cell #) and still no luck!

Any one know any one, have any advice, etc?

We are a family of 3 looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom (NOT studio) furnished unit with ocean views (preferably on the beach facing east). While our budget is not unlimited :cry: I am prepared to spend around 2K a month...I could be talked into spending more for the right place. Hopefully a longer term month to month.

Any one???? Any one????

2. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is your child school age? Do you really want to be driving in and out of the HZ every day?

Some of the north facing villas near the start of the HZ are ok and around that price, but even then the traffic is painful, and you have to put up with living around people who think they're royalty and need special treatment because of it.

Will you be working in the HZ?

3. raretail

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes he will be going to school. I think we will deal with the triffic for now...I guess. The location is the reason we want to be there. Renting seems like the best way to get a feel for things there.

I will not be working so that is not a concern.

Are there more opportunities on the north side?

Thanks!

4. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, if it were me, I'd be sick of the traffic within a week.

Once you're signed on to a lease, you're stuck.

I'd be looking at more relaxing locations rather than HZ. Since you have a school-age child, somewhere like Playa Paraiso is probably out, but maybe Puerto Aventuras would be a better pick? A much more relaxing place than HZ (I'm guessing a nice walk to school each day for starters), and probably a less harrowing drive to Sams Club in PdC than HZ to Sams Club Cancun :)

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are several factors here, one is that most of what's on the east side of the hotel zone is hotels, there's not much to rent out there.

There are some rentals in Pok-ta-Pok, which is on the lagoon, at the top of the 7-shaped island that is the hotel zone. But lagoon views are not ocean views, though they make for fabulous sunsets.

If your child is going to go to school here be prepared for a 7 am start time. The traffic at that time of day is amazing. If you lived in Pok-ta-Pok and your kid went to school at C.E.S. (which is a bilingual school with a number of native English speaking kids in it), then you would have a 50 minute to 1 hour round trip from leaving to take the kid to school to walking back in your house. Then the same to bring your kid home again, that's 2 hours a day of commuting.

If I were you I would come here and pick a school before I picked a house. Often rentals stay on the market for a while, and so people stop advertising them. You often have a better time finding a rental if you drive by and see a Se Renta sign.

Also be prepared for a "furnished" house to be only sort of furnished, you will need some things, count on it.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Puerto Aventuras is a good choice, there's a bilingual school there. The parents buy golf carts for their kids and let them drive themselves to school.

7. raretail

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We live in a small town in Colorado (Rivergirl - sympathies ?) and while most people don't understand this, we are not looking to relax. We thrive on energy. So relaxing is certainly not what we are looking for. That said we are not looking for traffic either.

We have visited IAS - CES and were impressed.

While we are set on living in the HZ, I am glad we have decided to rent first. There is nothing like reality to open your eyes. :shock:

8. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    We live on the hotel zone and our kids attend CES. The drive is a pain but we like living here so are prepared to do it.Its not the traffic from the Hotel Zone to downtown its the traffic from Tulum out to the school that is the issue.
    We certainly do not consider ourselves to be royalty .

I would love to live on the beach but prices are so much more than here on the lagoon and the ocean is just a 3 minute walk away.

Good Luck with your move.
    Tracey

9. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    >We certainly do not consider ourselves to be royalty

Well, that's because you're on the lagoon side :)

10. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    But you look so lovely in your tiara! :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice