Montezuma's Revenge- How is it prevented??

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Bubba's Other Mistress, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Bubba's Other Mistress

Bubba's Other Mistress Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everyone.

We obviously want to avoid getting sick, so I am wondering what all of you have done for preventative measures? We have been to other parts of Mexico twice, and always took a pill for prevention. While we never felt quite 100%, it certainly helped us from getting really ill.

Even though we will apply common sense to what and where we eat/drink, I have read several ideas on this.

What can you all share?

I want to avoid anitbiotics in every way possible...but will use a last resort.
    Looking for other suggestions.
    Thanks!
    :chuck:

2. MartinnVegas

MartinnVegas Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Use Montezuma's magic potion. Drink tequila b4, during and after every meal. Bring some to the beach to keep hydrated. Tequila evaporates quite fast so you need to keep on drinking it. Don't have sex and you'll be ok.

3. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Similarly - Rule 1 and it's corallary (Rule 1 1/2): If it ain't bottled, and if you didn't open the bottle it was in, don't drink it.

Rule 2: Good germs - if given half a chance - displace bad germs. Once or two chewable acidopholous after every meal (is actually good for you anyway).

MartinV - that was just cruel. You should be ashamed.

4. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Quite a few cases of the Montezumas Revenge are not from tainted food or water. Overindulgence in the liquors, too much sun exposure and dehydration from both of those can be real hard on your body. You cant expect your body to adapt to a huge change like that very quickly.

The water at the resorts is purified, so there is not much to worry about on that end. Make sure the food you are eating from buffets is served at the appropriate temperature. Keep hydrated.

Using myself as an example...... when in Cancun I eat everything I want to including food from roadside chicken stands. I drink plenty of water both bottled and from the tap. And I always make it through just fine. The difference is that I don't really drink. I may have a beer with dinner occasionally, but thats about it. And I dont sit out in the sun all day. I like the shade much more.

Just try to keep hydrated and give your body at least a little recovery time every day and you will probably be much better off.

5. Paul79UF

Paul79UF Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm half hispanic and that seems to keep Montezuma pleased enough to never let me get sick in central or south america.

but I'd recommend bringing a nice selection of meds such as pepto bismol and immodium ad.

6. ELLABEAR424

ELLABEAR424 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have only gotten sick one time and I know where and why.
    My mom and I were heading down there and some guy from her work told her that she should go to the place that has the tigers and animals in the resturant. Well, we decided to go in to this place and get one drink and take a picture so she could show her co-worker.
    Well, the place was just gross. It stunk like a zoo and my mom could not even finish her daquari. So I sucked mine down and the rest of hers and we left!!!!!!
    We went back to the hotel and went to the room. Well, my mom was up all night yacking her guts up and I was right there with her.
    She was fine by morning and I was out for the count. I could not move. I was dying!!!!!! My mom got the doctor and I got the $85.00 shot and I was able to move a little bit by evening. I had to get on the plane the next morning and would not have been able to make it without that shot.
    Anyways, I know that it was the ice in the daquari.

So my rule is, if you do not see anyone else in the place and it smells like a funky zoo.
    Don't go there!!!!!!!

7. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :lol: :lol: :lol: That is classic!

8. Bubba's Other Mistress

Bubba's Other Mistress Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks everyone! Great input, all of which I will heed. Except for the "no sex" thing! That is crazy talk! :lol:
    LOL LOL

12 days to go! Woo hoo!

9. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The digestive system is the first thing to become a challenge when traveling. Eating yogurt is a good suggestion because it helps the body digest properly. What it does is adds to your body's good bacteria, very important for digesting food. A natural remedy that I enjoy using is Acidophilus. It acts the same as yogurt but it is much more portable and effective.

212eric

10. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's more on that subject courtesy of Rondo:

Authored by Rhondo
    Subject: Kyo-Dophilus
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've mentioned using this supplement previously for combating pathogenic bacteria(tourista/montezuma's revenge/Hershey squirts ect.).
    Keep in mind not all of the acidophilus supplements are created equal,Kyo-Dophilus contains three "active bacteria" lactobacilus,bifidum,longum,known as the friendly trio.They are lyophilized(freezedried) so they can travel without refrigeration,most supplements will start to decompose when they are removed from the frig. I've had many questions regarding this,here's also a short article regarding probiotic bacteria. Acidophilus is a natural antibiotic, produces B vitamins, improves digestion, and reduces risk of colon cancer. Antibiotic therapy will destroy it. That's why you need a probiotic supplement. Billions of bacteria live in your intestines. Some of them build your health while others tear it down. One of the most important bacteria in the beneficial category is Lactobacillus acidophilus.

Why Acidophilus Is Essential to Your Health
    Lactobacillus acidophilus is a vital key to your good health for several reasons: Acts like a natural antibiotic to inhibit the reproduction of pathogenic "bad" bacteria in your GI tract that contribute to bowel, vaginal, respiratory, and urinary tract infections. It also inhibits parasitic infections. Produces a broad spectrum of B vitamins (folic acid, B5, niacin, biotin, B12 and B6). Aids in cholesterol normalization. Improves food digestion and absorption. Dairy products are better tolerated by those who have lactose intolerance, because acidophilus helps to break down lactose (milk sugar).. Reduces risk of colon cancer.
    Antibiotics and Acidophilus. Nearly all of us have taken antibiotics at one time or another. But we almost never think about what those antibiotics do to our intestines. If you have an ear infection (for example), your MD might prescribe an antibiotic. Before the antibiotic gets to the infected ear, it is swallowed and has to pass through the GI tract before absorption into the bloodstream. In a healthy GI tract, there is a dynamic balance between all of the resident organisms, which include bacteria and yeasts. Many of these organisms cling to the walls of your gut, where they compete for "real estate". As the antibiotic passes through, it kills all bacteria, both the bad and the good. However, antibiotics do not kill yeasts, including the Candida yeast. A lot of gut wall "real estate" is freed up, because all of the bacteria are dead and gone. All that remains are the yeasts, which then wildly proliferate to occupy the free space. This is why so many people get yeast infections when they take antibiotics. Therefore, it is imperative that you take extra acidophilus while on antibiotic therapy, and for two weeks afterwards. When you take acidophilus during antibiotic therapy, take it as far away from the antibiotic as possible.

Vaginal Yeast Infection. Acidophilus is antagonistic to Candida and other yeasts. Acidophilus is also toxic to Gardenerella, a common cause of vaginal bacterial infection. A vaginal douche twice a day with a solution containing acidophilus is indicated if you have any kind of vaginal infection, especially a yeast infection. Even if you do not douche, just consuming acidophilus will help to some extent. Your physician will provide you with the specific protocol you need for a vaginal infection.

Urinary Tract Infections. A problem with antibiotic therapy for urinary tract infections is that protective bacteria are destroyed, leading to recurrent infections. Vaginal suppositories of acidophilus help to prevent recurring urinary tract infections.

Diarrhea. Acidophilus is important for preventing or treating antibiotic-induced diarrhea. Acidophilus also helps to prevent diarrhea resulting from radiation therapy to the GI tract. Travel to foreign countries is often accompanied by diarrhea when you're exposed to different foods or an environment that contains pathogenic organisms. Acidophilus has been shown to reduce traveler's diarrhea.

Cancer. Acidophilus inhibits bacterial enzymes associated with the formation of cancer-causing compounds in the GI tract, thus reducing the risk of colon cancer. It also appears to reduce the recurrence of bladder cancer.

Infant Thrush. Thrush is a yeast infection in the mouth. It can be effectively treated with acidophilus. If your baby is infected and you are breast feeding, you can "paint" your nipples with a acidophilus. If your baby is feeding from a bottle or eating food, consult with your physician for instructions.

Any Intestinal Disorder. Acidophilus is helpful for virtually any intestinal problem, including microbial overgrowth, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, Crohn's disease, or diarrhea.

Dosage
    The dosage of an acidophilus supplement is based on the number of live organisms. Consumption of one to ten billion organisms is thought to be an effective daily dosage. Acidophilus is quite safe to take in larger doses, although some may experience mild GI disturbances. A lower dose may not be enough to colonize the GI tract. Acidophilus is safe to take at any dose. Consult with your physician for the appropriate dosage for your specific condition.

What's the Difference Between an Acidophilus Supplement and Yogurt?
    There may be some acidophilus in fermented milk products such as yogurt and kefir. However, most commercial yogurts are made with Lactobacillus bulgaricus or Streptococcus thermophilus. Although these two organisms possess some health benefits, they will not colonize in your intestines. On the other hand, the highest quality supplements are made with "super strains" of Lactobacillus acidophilus. These strains are designed for maximum clinical effectiveness. They also do not die as easily and are more likely to survive the digestive process in your stomach. So if you are looking for positive results, an acidophilus supplement is a better choice than yogurt. Yogurt is still mildly beneficial, but make sure that it is unsweetened, because sweetening agents may destroy beneficial bacteria.

Acidophilus Product Quality:
    Product quality is a crucial consideration when choosing an acidophilus
    What strain of Lactobacillus acidophilus is in the product?
    What other organisms are present?
    What is the number of organisms in the product?
    Are the organisms still alive? (If the organisms are dead, the product is worthless).
    Are there any contaminants in the product?
    Product labeling can be misleading, and you have no direct way of knowing whether the product will be effective. Therefore, please follow the product recommendations given to you by your physician.

After purchasing your acidophilus product, it's prudent to keep it in your refrigerator in order to ensure the organisms stay alive as long as possible.

Other Beneficial Organisms
    There are other beneficial bacteria that are sold as dietary supplements. These "good" bacteria are called probiotics. The most important probiotic in this group is Bifidobacterium bifidum. Bifidus colonizes in a baby's intestines as a result of breastfeeding. It should be present in any healthy intestine. However, antibiotic therapy kills bifidus. Bifidus has health-giving properties that are very similar to acidophilus. It has a pronounced inhibitory effect on pathogenic bacteria and yeasts. Therefore, your physician may recommend that you take both acidophilus and bifidus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice