minor in cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by magic2lola, Jul 2, 2008.

1. magic2lola

magic2lola Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wonderful forum....great info!

July 16, 2008 will be this family's 1st trip to Cancun. CAN"T WAIT!!!!

I'm trying to make sure I have all documentation in order beforehand.

We have 1 minor child (my stepchild, wife's biological child)

Minor child has valid passport from US.

"Stickey" "1st timers" has info on minor children traveling to Mexico but it is dated in 2004.

Thread info indicates minor child must have signed documentation from both biological parents to enter Mexico.

This document is a requirement to get a valid passport so is it still necessary when traveling in 2008?

Thanks in advance!

2. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Had you adopted the child, as in do they have the same last name as you? If so, then I don't see where you would have a problem as they would know it was a blended family. If the last name is different, well then there might be some more stuff you need to do.

The reason behind the documentation is to be sure that some adult isn't taking a child out of the country without the parents’ knowledge as in a kidnapping or custody dispute. Excellent reasons for the extra check, but I know it's sometimes a pain in the butt for those that are just trying to go on vacation.

As good as we like to think we are here through in cases like this we tend to defer to the source as in this case the US Immigration Service for the answer. We'd hate to tell you one thing and then have you sitting at the counter on departure day having to deal with something different. Another source of information might be the airlines you plan to take as to what documentation they need on minors traveling with you.

But I really think if the name is the same, they would never know.

Jamie

3. magic2lola

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess there may be problems then because the minor's last name is still the same as my wife's previous married name.

I can prove the minor child belongs to my wife (i.e. marriage cert.. birth cert.) but the signed and notorized affidavit from her biological father was submitted with paperwork at the time of applying for US passport.

Should I try and get another affidavit from the biological father? Signed and Notorized?

Thanks again in advance!

4. Jamie

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Before going through that hassle, I'd check with the airlines to see what they are requiring. Might call a couple of times to get different people to see if they say the same thing. Then you can react to real requirements as opposed to possible old ones.

Jamie

5. magic2lola

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I talked to a rep from my travel agency and they said I would need either a signed and notorized affidavit from the absent biological parent(similar to the one listed in the "first timers" stickey) or an original court document awarding full custody to the mother.

It should be no problem getting the affidavit from the minor child's father as he was already willing to sign an affidavit for the passport.

So just to make sure we have no problems I will be taking the following for the minor child:

Passport, birth cert., affidavit from father, wife's birth cert., our marriage cert., wife's divorce papers,

I'd rather have all of it and not need it than not have it and get stuck in mexico missing our flight out because I didn't have enough paper's on the minor child.....

6. Jamie

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Sounds good. Now make copies of all those.. actually two... one to keep in a seperate bag on your trip and the other copy to leave at home just in case.

Sounds like you're ready. Let us know if you had any problems when you get back.

Jamie

7. magic2lola

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the advise about making 2 copies. That is a very good idea in case one gets misplaced or lost during the trip.

I'll post upon returning for our trip.......if I can make myself leave paradise! lol

8. Walshlaw

Walshlaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I traveled to Cancun with my three minor nieces a few years ago. We had the custody orders from the Court and affidavits from both parents (custodial and non-custodial). There were no problems.

However, I had checked my airline prior to departure and was provided with its requirements. You should call the airline on which you are traveling.

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Technically when the father signed allowing the child to get a passport, he gave rights for the child to travel.

And technically, right now, Mexican immigration would allow that child to enter Mexico without either parent present, simply because the child has a passport (which means both parents granted the right to travel).

But the reality is that Mexican immigration agents don't always feel comfortable with this lack of explicit permission. And so they sometimes ask to see "the letter" from the missing parent.

Be aware that the airline may require one thing and Mexican immigration may require a different thing. The airline's requirement is supposed to be whatever document will ensure that the person is admitted to Mexico by immigration (airlines are fined big bucks if they allow someone to come to a country without the proper papers to enter the country). But the airlines don't always keep up with what immigration is requiring...

And so my advice is to get the father to sign a letter. It can be in English. Get it notarized. And don't get it out unless they ask, which they probably won't...

If you want to avoid this hassle in the future then both biological parents can create a document which gives either parent permission to take the child across any international border in the world without the explicit and specific permission of the other parent (or it could specify which countries are allowed).

My ex and I have a doc like this. It's both notarized AND is witnessed by the judge who granted our divorce (he complimented us for trusting each other this much). If your wife trusts the father then this doc will benefit the child in that the child will always be free to travel as opportunity arises and the parents won't need to deal with this headache over and over.

(By the way, this idea was suggested to my by an attorney who works for Frontier Airlines.)

10. magic2lola

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all the info. I'm pretty sure I have everything I need now including a signed and notorized affidavit from the non-custodial parent.

Making copies now as advised by Jamie.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice