Minimum Wage Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Donna & Tim, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Donna & Tim

Donna & Tim I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,605 / 6
  2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Have to say I've never met anyone that works for minimum wage (80 pesos per day), unless it is very tip heavy like waiters or bartenders. I think in the US it would be called "tipped-minimum wage" which again is very low.

The most junior labourer on the crew building our house makes 1800 pesos a week (360 per day). Our cleaner makes 350 a day for 6 hrs. We pay two guys to do our garden 350 for about 3 hrs. The most junior deckhand on the Boobs Cruise makes about 300 a day, plus tips.

Definitely wages in general are low compared to the countries we come from but I don't think low wages are as low or as common in Cancun as a lot of people think.

3. Donna & Tim

Donna & Tim I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,605 / 6
    Well this is good to hear and proves just because it's on the internet it may not be true. Even these wages 1800 pesos a week around $100 USD I know some people back home spend this much or more at Starbucks per week.

T

4. canukcun

canukcun Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Like Mexican minimum wage??????

Tacos, bananas, the odd coconut, water. Beach blanket?

You know it is things like that that make me sort of understand why my bag with over $10,000 was stolen, I can sort of identify that someone combing the beach for meager pickings of the odd stray wallet or thing lost or dropped the day before, you can understand that they have nothing -------- still, 4.20 USD buys a lot in Mexico. Prices are starting to go up a little but you can live damn cheap in Mexico. So much expensive fruit (in Canada) is so cheap in Mexico. A kg of fresh tortillas cost less than a 1/4 kg of bread. Stuff is cheaper. I would live outside if I could in Mexico no questions asked. Overall it is a tradeoff. Still with a 14 or 15$ CAD (12$ USD) mininum wage slated for Ontario, and benefits that allow you to earn more doing nothing than a full work week in Mexico, or paid more to study than someone sweating it out day in day out gets in Mexico demonstrates the disparity. Still Yucatan is so soulful, it just enlivens the body's spirit. That is priceless in itself. You know my personal favs, are tortillas, masa, eggs, bananas, (citrus), the odd pineapple, fresh seafood when it is available especially calamar. So much good stuff that is so cheap compared to its price in Canada. - and water of course. It is hard to forgive, but it is easy to understand why someone might be immoral that way. You know if someone put a briefcase with a million dollars in front of you and told you, you can walk away with it if you want, regardless of you knowin it was a life insurance policy payout, you might take it and walk. You know if you saw a millionaire drop a coin, you might pick it up thinking no harm. This low income for those employed better helps understand why petty crimes may occur more in Mexico - however, this is the EMPLOYED wage, there are still those unemployed, without a solid social safety net. People make more doing nothing in Canada than they do working in Mexico.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice