Mexico Travel Warning?!

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by jjrichardson, Mar 14, 2010.

1. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wait a minute. Wasnt there a 14 body count murder in Acapulco, with 4 being decapitated??? Your pissed because the US news reported on it???? It happened or didnt......No need to sensationalize that one.......

Cant remember the last time that happened anywhere in my neighborhood. And no something of that magnitude happening in the US would not be swept under the rug by the press.

Dont get me wrong I love visiting Cancun and have always felt safe there.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Thing is Gonzo it wasn't anywhere near our neighbourhood.

Actually, the shootings at Fort Hood Texas were about 300 miles closer to here than the kilings in Acapulco.

3. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The original poster was questioning their safety in Cancun...then it went on to airports...Nobody is saying that Mexico is safe and it seems like we have carried over this crazy topic from the thread in the Living In forum. I think the questions have been answered for the SB that are on their way down here, to Cancun, faaaaaaaar faaaaar away from areas where heads are being chopped off on a beach; where there is a drug problem that far exceeds anything you will find in Cancun.
    And nobody said they were pissed the News reported that story. I am pissed that the US media has a way of making Mexico out to be the devil.

4. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No problem with reporting things, but don't care for the way they always mix video of Cancun in with the video of dead bodies. Then have "experts" come on and say "Mexico is not safe for tourists". I'll agree that the decapitations are a little sensational, but that was the whole idea, was to get attention, so the media is just feeding into it.

You might find this link interesting & while I hate to drag the other wars into this, its worth saying the US (and allies) have killed many, many, many, many more civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan than the drug wars violence here has.... so its all perspective. But those stories seem to be glazed over in the US press.. getting a brief mention at most. Apples and oranges perhaps, but it is a "war" we have going on here between the Mexican government and the drug gangs. A war encouraged and funded by the US.

5. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a way of doing that :icon_mrgreen:

6. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I guess I must be seeing another news channel. Although 2 of the stations I do watch had that story. But they didnt say devil;). If your watching CNN or FOX, well than your not watching unbiased news, more like watching TMZ.

Steve I do understand its not in Cancun and thats why I stated I have always felt safe in Cancun and I dont usually stay at the HZ and just love being Downtown and getting away from the tourist areas. Hell I dont even speak spanish and have never felt unsafe in any of my off the beaten track travels in Cancun. I just dont get what the problem is with our media is all.

7. jjrichardson

jjrichardson Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank You

Well, I think my question has been answered. Thank you.

8. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, you'll be fine, sorry for leading the topic astray. Some of us are just tired of the constant badmouthing Mexico gets as you can probably tell :icon_mrgreen:

Enjoy your trip.

9. army21

army21 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Everyone going to Mexico (Cancun) you'll be fine!!! Only thing you got to worry about is getting alcohol poison!:eek:rangehat:

10. alwayshavinfun

alwayshavinfun Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Had a blast

A couple of my buddies were beat up and robbed on separate occasions, but we were so drunk and got laid so many times we didn't care. Have a great time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice