Mexico Travel Warning?!

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by jjrichardson, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sad news both in Juarez and in Acapulco. :( Still, totally irrelevant in Cancun.

If there were murders in LA and Houston, would you worry about traveling to Miami?

Cancun is very far away from all that. Have fun and be safe!

2. Franco27

Franco27 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    just to reitterate, i wouldnt worry about it, i've been all over mexico and the only trouble i ran in to was becuase i was stupidly drunk and being an obnoxious twat lol, so long as you are sensible, keep to the right areas, you'll be fine!

3. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    New Orleans is rated as the 3rd (or 4th depending on your source) most dangerous city in the world and number one in the US, but I haven't heard the State Dept warning against people going there for Mardi Gras. Several other US cities have been in the top 10 for years and years... and thats despite the United States being home to the largest prison population on the planet with more than 1 in 100 adults already incarcerated!!!

So the term HYPOCRITES comes to mind whenever I see these sorts of stories!

I'm not saying that there are not problems in the border cities of Mexico, (caused by the US's insatiable appetite for illicit drugs) but as with all things you have to keep perspective. The US news media has been fear mongering against Mexico for years now, while glossing over issues closer to home. (and the reason why Mexico is having problems... ie:America's drug habit)

PS: I am an American, but I get more and more tempted to drop my passport in the shredder everyday that I look in from the outside and see how stupid "we" act both internally and towards the rest of the world.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Well said, Life, as if, after what happened in Juarez, Americans would need to be even more alarmed!

The U.S. response should have been, "We are saddened by what has recently happened in Juarez, and will continue to stand by Mexico in its heroic struggle against the weapons, and ruthless tactics, of the narcotraffickers. We pray the the Mexican people triumph against the evil that stalks their land, and we will do all in our power to assist them in that great, and historically unprecedented effort. May God bless Mexico, and its brave people."

5. kman3b18

kman3b18 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, the travel warnings are a little over the top, but please stop your garbage rhetoric. It is clear that you are uneducated on geopolitical issues like that of drug trafficing. Did you seriously blame 'America's drug habit' for why Mexicans traffic drugs into the US? Do you even realize how absurd this statement is?

I guess we should not blame the source that is Mexico, the extremely violent drug lords who run those areas with an iron fist, the corrupt police system and government and those individuals who illegally come across the US border to trade drugs and weapons for money.

For the sake of the United States please do rip up your passport as the US needs far fewer dopes like you casting votes.

/rant

And sorry for the derailment, but this touched a nerve.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Perhaps responsibility would sound better than blame, but, yes, both those who supply and those who use constitute a part of the problem, so long as the laws remain what they are.

Every time someone pays for illegal drugs they contribute to the problem, themselves, and further enrich those who have no creed but greed.

Wise men have thought long and hard about how to break this cycle, but no consensus has been reached on how to do it. The consequences, now full blooming, of failing to come up with a better approach, in more than six decades of trying, are there for all to see.

7. kman3b18

kman3b18 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V, that is a very null and simplistic argument. While neither stopping the source nor the consumers is an 'easy' job, it is much more realistic to stop the source rather than the spread out demand. That is economics and marketing 101. And I assure you that every country in the world has drug problems to some degree, and I would love to see a source documenting that America has a larger drug abuse problem than Mexico. I would imagine that this would be hard to find.

Also, let's not forget the lack of cooperation that the US government gets when it comes to illegal immigrants, a category which most Mexican drug trafficers belong to. The US repeatedly deports illegal immigrants back to a Mexican government which takes no responsibility and allows these people to go free; simply to illegally cross the border once again as soon as they can. The only hypocrisy, as LifeNCancun alluded to, is the fact that Mexico prosecutes illegal immigrants into their country from Belize and Guatemala to the full extent of the law, but many times fails to prosecute their own deported countrymen who illegally traveled into the US.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    This suggests you're still operating from the paradigm I believe should be abandoned, as failed.

But, with a nice holiday coming up, better to lay aside lots of unresolved social problems for a few days, at least, don't you think? That's what I'm going to do....

9. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you .. it was my intention to hit some nerves.

I appreciate your opinion on the matter and do not claim to be any sort of "expert" in geopolitical issues or anything else. I can only express things as I see them having lived outside of the US for sometime now. I think any American who has not had the perspective of looking in, could never really understand what I'm alluding to. I know I was clueless about such matters until moving away. I believed what the "news" told me, even believing FauxNews was "fair and balanced" (after all they reminded me every 20 seconds) I went along blissfully unaware at how ridicules some of my country's policies were compared to the rest of the world or how many problems we really had.

Are you serious! The biggest drug problem here is alcohol, everything else is mainly just passing North. Most illicit drugs are not coming from Mexico, they are passing through to the US. The US is the largest consumer of drugs in the world, and its not remotely difficult to find that information with a simple Google search, not even including the prescription drug abuse problems.

Mexico arrests and deports "illegals" mostly at the behest of the US government, as 99% of them are on their way to the US. I'm not sure what law you think Mexicans should be charged with in Mexico after being deported. The US doesn't prosecute its citizens who are deported back to the US as there is no crime in being ejected from another country. The violation is the entrance of the US without permission, crossing back into Mexico regardless of how or why is not against the law for a Mexican.

You are more than free to disagree with me or anyone else. I bitch and moan about these things because I care. The US is F#%'d up! Mexico is F#%#'d up too! What really upsets me is that too many people just don't see it, don't care, or are totally brainwashed by the media and their politicians to ever question anything.

edit: CancunMole found THIS article that gives a perspective on the drug/violence issues.

10. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I applaud you Life....everything you just mentioned couldn't have been said any better and I agree with you 100%. A little research, sorting fact from fiction, and actually living on the outside looking in, really diminishes alot of the BS the US news has been reporting for years. Ever since I moved here, alot of my "friends" back in PA have been on a PRO USA campaign and it's really rather sickening as the US is sooooo far from the nation I once thought it was.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice