Mexican jail

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by memphis whitehat, Dec 14, 2012.

1. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Dos, we might be able to work something out if you guys would just agree to fund Obamacare for us!:aktion033:

On the serious side of this discussion....this guy had to be a real neophyte in international travel. He was going to cross the borders of most of the countries in Central America and he didn't bother to find out the details of the regulations for ALL of the countries he was going to cross??? Really? He was that uninfromed? If I were going to drive to Costa Rica, I would be damn sure I knew what I could and couldn't bring into each and every country I was going to cross. On the other hand, does he deserve to be put into a Mexican jail for a third of a year for his ignorance? Probably not, but he still doesn't exactly win the Nobel Prize for brilliance either.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Nothing's going to happen until he tells his lawyer he's ready to admit he did the acts which constitute the crime under Mex Law and therefore is guilty.

When he's ready to do that, he'll be out of prison the same week, and on his way home for Christmas. If he doesn't, a year more in jail won't get the job done.

Insisting on his innocence has kept him in jail this long, and nothing more.

3. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

Seriously? Just admit guilt and pay the fine and leave. Sounds pretty straight forward to me.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It is.

Those who encourage him to a different path donĀ“t have to pay the price that comes with it. He does.

The shortest distance between two points in this case is a prompt admission of guilt.

He can save all his convoluted explainations for how he got himself into this situation for those back home who want to listen, once he gets there.

5. Chris&Tammy

Chris&Tammy Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0
    You admit the guilt and you walk? No time to serve for being guilty? I think I've been down that road, but not in Mexico...........

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    This guy got released a week ago, in time for Christmas. I guess those that were passionately defending him didn't bother following the story.

Apologies for the Faux news links with all its anti Mexico rhetoric:
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12/22/report-jon-hammar-to-be-released-from-mexican-prison-today/

Grateful to the end:
    ============

:aktion069:

7. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    I got kind of curious about how much more violent we were in the US with our gun mentality than our bretheren in the peaceful UK. Wow, what a surprise, the violent crime rate in the UK is over four times worse than it is in the US. In the UK it is 2034 violent crimes per 100,000 residents compared to the US rate of 466 violent crimes per 100,000 residents. To give you a further comparison the violent crime rate in South Africa is 1609 violent crimes per 100,000 people.

Things are not always as they appear and our image worldwide is that of a violent country. However, when you look behind the headlines you find a much different picture. By the way, even Canada has a higher violent crime rate than the US.

8. jeff & deb

jeff & deb I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    Were did you get this information... for some reason I find it very hard to believe..but thats just me.

I got this off the internet... so it must be true, USA rates number 11 in the most dangerous Places on the Earth.

For the average traveller, the USA is fairly safe, but the numbers do not lie. There are more than 200 million guns in the USA and more than 50 murders a day, 10 times the rate of Germany. Nearly 5000 people die a year in truck crashes, about 6000 pedestrains die on the streets and 31000 people end their own lives. The USA now leads all nations in violent crime and leads all nations with incarcerations now standing at 2.3 million. American citizens also make up the greatest number of criminals serving time in overseas prisons. Militias, hate groups and other right wing radicals all spread their message of violence and are known to throw around the odd pipe-bomb. The government is not much better, spending a whopping $600 billion a year on defense in order to contain the handful of nations hostile to it.

But I love you guys and your country.

Also note neither the UK or Canada made the list.

9. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Jeff,

Here's the source:

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S. | Mail Online

I assume the writer is taking political shots, but I'll admit that I don't know much about the politics of the UK. I know a lot more about Canadian politics.

One thing that skews the stats in the huge amount of black on black crime in the US. Many of the poorer neighborhoods in the US are just rampant with crime. That has always been one of my major disagreements with liberals. All the billions of dollars that have been dumped into the poor communities has only made things worse.

10. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    All things considered looking at the recent shootings, I really hope that your government puts a practical assault weapons ban back in place. I know well enough that asking Americans to give up guns is akin to asking a Canadian to give up their hockey stick. But unless you are expecting a military assault no one needs 50 round clips or armor piercing capability. And that's all I'll venture on that!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice