Mexican jail

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by memphis whitehat, Dec 14, 2012.

1. memphis whitehat

memphis whitehat Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been to TTS (and bluebay) 14 times. I love the resort and consider many of the staff members friends. I look foward to greeting them on each arrival.

However as of today I think NO ONE from the USA should travel anywhere in Mexico until our U.S. Marine is released from jail!!

2. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love our Marines but that is no reason not to travel to a country.

3. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2
    And you want to punish yourself because ??????

you make no sense dude,,, if you were to deprive yourself of pleasures all the time because of other's wrong doing you would be a sad man :(

Just another perspective.....

4. Donald

Donald Devil's advocate Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 2
  5. jhjeppe

jhjeppe Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    mmmm.

Unfortunately when you break the law, you will have to bear the consequences. Just because a person is a U.S marine does not mean he/she is above the law.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I'm not sure the fact he is an ex Marine has any more to do with the case than if he were an ex Pizza delivery driver, unless it is right wing press trying to fuel more anti Mexican sentiment from those that like to hear it.

Fact of the matter is he tried to cross the border with an illegal firearm in Matamoros. Matamoros is one of the most dangerous places in Mexico where drug gang violence involving firearms imported from the US is at a horrifying level. I expect the Border Agents are not very forgiving.

Seems he was given duff advice by the US Border agent but that doesn't give him a get out clause from Mexican law any more than a Mexican border agents duff advice would give someone a get out from US law.

He was on route to Costa Rica by road. He would have to cross not only the Mexican border but also the borders of Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica to get there. 5 borders in all. If Mexico didn't detain him some other country probably would have.

Prison conditions in Mexico are harsh and I don't doubt for a moment that some corrupt official or inmate is looking for a pay day out of this. But that is Mexico for you, don't break her laws and you wont end up in this situation ......probably.

A reason to boycott Mexico? I don't believe so.

7. fireguy2035

fireguy2035 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    27-year-old former Marine Jon Hammar has languished in a Mexican prison since being charged with gun possession four months ago. The Factor's Bill O'Rielly expounded on the situation: "Mexico is insulting every single American citizen, the charge is totally bogus. Last summer Mr. Hammar registered an antique shotgun handed down to him from his great-grandfather with American customs officials in Texas. He was told by the American agents to take the paperwork across the border to Mexican officials and he would be fine to travel on to Costa Rica for a hunting trip. But when Hammar did check in with the Mexicans, he was arrested. And so he sits in a filthy prison ten days before Christmas. That's totally unacceptable! Hammar did nothing wrong, so why doesn't Mexico just release him in the name of good will? Talking Points has been telling you that Mexico does not act like a friend to the USA and this case proves it. Mexico's new president should release Hammar right now!"

For more on the travesty, The Factor turned to Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen. "We are outraged," she declared. "It is so incomprehensible that when the mother came to us with the case we said, 'Something must be wrong here, this can not be happening.' But the more we investigated, the more we found that everything that she was saying was absolutely correct. The Mexican ambassador told me that Jon Hammar is chained to his bed because they fear he will escape. The President of Mexico has the authority to release Hammar, but I don't believe he has the guts to do it." The Factor demanded Hammar's release and issued a threat: "If this guy is not out by Christmas, we'll call for an absolute boycott of travel to Mexico." The government of the US gives the Mexican law enforcement over $150 Million dollars each year and this is the way they repay us. Mr. Hammars mother received phone calls requesting ransom money twice before the news got out. Those calls stopped once the news. Don't forget this patriot served in Iraq and Afghan and we should put our selfish desires on the back burner until the Mexican government does the right thing. I will not return to Mexico until they do. There are plenty of other places in the Caribbean that I can visit that do respect America. What if it was your son ? How would you feel about it if your neighbor said.....screw your son I'm going on my vacation to Mexico.

8. Billchrismich

Billchrismich Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bummer

9. sweetchildomine

sweetchildomine I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I am not going to bother with the reading of the article. But if the facts are that he did something wrong he broke his code of honor for being a Marine. Everyone that is a citizen of the US should know that if you break the law you have to pay the price.

In another light, in the honor of the fact that this man was/is a Marine(once a marine always a marine.... they never retire), I think you are going against the very fabric of the existence of the Marine by asking people not to go to Mexico. We have been granted our freedom to go where we want by those that have spilled their blood for such a thing. I will go to Mexico drink VERY heavily and hope that all works out for the best of this man, that he in part, had a hand in the very freedom that I am enjoying.

10. regdog

regdog Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    We must not lose sight that this man is actually a VETERAN, not an active duty marine. I am a Veteran from both the Navy (active and reserve) and the Army National Guard.
    We who are Vets have all had SOME training in use of weapons. We also have been all taught to KNOW and obey the LAWS of the land.....Not just on AMERICAN soil. If We brake these laws, We as private citizens are then subjected to the penalties to braking the law just like everyone else. Be it a mild parking violation to murder, WE have to be called unto accountability to community like everyone else
    There may be some grace available for one who is on ACTIVE duty, but thats about it.
    I feel bad for my brother vet who made a very unwise judgement and decision in the matter of transporting a firearm. I myself do not believe that there is REAL justification for a major boycott on such a private matter.
    Just my opinion.:aktion051:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice