Mexican Immigration Changes Coming

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Apr 22, 2010.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ - It makes sense that FM2/3 holders will still have to go to the Alfa office (the Salidas office we all go to when we leave) to get scanned. Part of the reason you go to that office now is so that INM can record your exit in the computer (after you walk away they enter your data), it's not just to get the red form.

And NO the airlines will not be able to do this, never, never. Currently I don't think the Alfa offices actually have the scanners in them, so they will need to install those.

The FMM and FMT are NOT VISAS they are permits!

Lots and lots of web sites are reporting that FMM holders will not be allowed more than 180 days in the country out of a 365 day period BUT THIS IS NOT VERIFIED!!!!! There has been no official statement issued about this, agents have been told nothing.

Under current law business visitors are allowed 30 day stints in country up to a total of 180 days out of 365. They are doing away with this. I believe that some of the sites reporting that FMM holders won't have more than 6 months in country are confusing what's being done away with with changes that are coming. All it would take is one author to mix this up, due to poor Spanish, and web site authors across Mexico would be spreading an ugly rumor. And that's exactly what I think is going on here. I think that one person got this mixed up and it's spreading.

Importantly, it doesn't make sense that they would change the rules this way because it goes against the way the law is written. Remember the new changes do not reflect a change in immigration law in Mexico, only a change in policy, only a change in how the law is applied.

The reason my initial post did not mention the rumors about FMM holders only being allowed 6 months out of a year in country is because this has not been substantiated. Let's not scare anyone until we know for sure what's going on with this. Again, it doesn't make sense for them to change this because of the way the actual law is written. We will see soon enough if they are changing this, but at this point it does not look as though they are.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Got it, I was referring to her applying for a Mexican Tourist Visa, at a Mexican Consulate, abroad.

Has the text of this new law not been published on this forum? I saw it, somewhere, and resolved to read it a little nearer the time it went into effect, which is now upon us!

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tori - Under the old rules you could have been barred from entering Mexico when you told them you were coming to study Spanish. Technically you needed a permit to study to do that.

Under the new rules you will be allowed to study at certain schools without a permit, this is to make it easier for tourists to come and study Spanish. You cannot come here and go to university without a permit allowing study, but under the new rules you can come in on an FMM to study Spanish.

INM agents are trained at lie detection. The agent knew you were lying, and he was nice to let you in anyway.

You will be better off telling the truth, so long as the truth is that you are coming to visit your Mexican boyfriend, you will be here for a few weeks, you are planning to get married soon and will be getting an FM2/3 as soon as you can. The male agents have a soft spot for a gringa who is willing to put up with a Mexican man, so play that in your favor.

I wouldn't use that story with a female agent though...might want to stick to the Spanish school story if you get a female agent, haha.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tori is a US Citizen, she doesn't need a VISA to enter Mexico...and she won't get one if she applies for one.

The law isn't new, just the regulations for how to apply it. They are calling it the Manual. The old version of the Manual, from 2000, is published as a PDF on the INM web site. Hopefully they will post the new version soon, but as of last night it wasn't up yet.

5. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL...thanks RG. Do you need a student permit to study at one of the non University schools? They have 4 week classes and figured anyone can go to them.
    At the time, I didn't know that US Citizens were given 180 days and figured I could only get 60 to 30. Oh well, I am here, and hopefully I don't need to make up any stories come July...which leads me to this question. And I am sure I can search the archive, but I really don't feel like re reading the billion posts....
    Say I get a job, and the FM3 paperwork gets started..I won't have my FMT anymore as I have to turn it over...how do I go about leaving in June without it?

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    RG, isn't this what you're referring to? I first noticed it online on April 11, but deferred having a look at it, until now.

[Link deleted]

Unfortunately, the link I provided does not seem to work, and sometimes pulls up a much shorter, useless document. The document I found, very lengthy, and almost surely the one you're referring to, is dated January 29, 2010, was published in the "Diario Official de la Federacion" and is titled, "El Manual de Criterios y Tramites Migratorios".

I could paste it here, but Steve would probably kill me. With these extra details, you'll almost surely be able to find it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  7. Katie9136

Katie9136 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info Rivergirl! I am supposed to be getting my renewed FM3 back in another week or so, hope I just missed the changes.

And I think that whole interview thing is rediculous. I´m guessing it will cause a lot more chaos than good.

8. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all the info again RG. I was considering trying to do the paperwork without Mauricio this year, but I have changed my mind, Mauricio can deal with the chaos again, haha. My FM2 expires May 20th so now is the time to do it and from what I am reading, now is the time where things are likely to be all screwy. Save me the headache, the $$ will be worth it. :)

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    OK, I tried what I suggested to Rivergirl, and it works. Anyone who'd like to see the rules she's referring to can do a websearch for "diario oficial de la federacion"; then, in the search function of the website, type in "criterios migratories" and you'll have it.

V.

10. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This happened when my husband and I were in the process of FM3 renewals and he had to return to the States on business before the process was complete.

Luckily Mauricio was handling things as it was necessary for my husband to get a letter from Immigration, there was a cost for the letter but I can't remember how much, allowing him to depart and re-enter without his FM3. Hope this helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice