Mexican Immigration Changes Coming

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If anyone finds out if the FM2/3 booklets need to be changed immediately, please post!

Mine gets renewed later this year.

Thanks for the info. I'm excited about the cards! After 5 years, my green booklet is now taped together.

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Haven't seen a single thing not to like, in these new rules and procedures. Congratulations, Mexico, for getting it right! :mexicoflag:
    V.

3. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What I don't like is that if I don't have my FM3 when I leave for FL in June, I will have to come up with a nice story as to why I am Mexico...if the "interview" procedure takes effect.

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ToriB - You should be able to come back in as a Tourist in that case. Remember, never answer what you are not asked.

RG - Nice info. Although I always have my FME filled out before getting to the airport it can be a pain to get it processed before heading to the check in counters.

Any idea who will scan the cards of FM2 and FM3 holders? Do we have to go to where we go now and have to sometimes stand in line behind tourists who lost their FMT's? That is really the only current point of contact with Migracion when leaving. It would be surprising if they let the airlines do this or if the airlines would even agree to it. Plus Spirit would find a way to charge $29 - $45 US for it. Jeje.

Thanks for the info.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    C'mon, that test is easy peasy. It's multiple choice.

The paperwork is the killer, SRE is super picky. I may not be able to file because when we got married in the U.S. hubby didn't put both his last names on the marriage cert (he only used his paternal last name when he lived there, it was simpler). Now SRE may not let me file based on marriage because of that. You need all your ducks in uptight little rows to get through the paperwork with SRE.

Their goal was to reduce the number of tramites (amt of paperwork) for lots of their procedures. So this is very good.

They've done a less than stellar job of readying their agents for the changes however. During the nation-wide teleconference yesterday there were agents all over the country asking questions that show they are ignorant of immigration law. If agents are ignorant of the law they will be clueless about how to apply the new regulations for enforcing the law. And their ignorant questions were taking valuable learning time away from the agents who know the law backwards. In short the training did more to show how poorly trained many agents currently are than to ready them for change.

We will see how much chaos there is while INM figures this out by doing it.

Regarding people who need to renew soon, my understanding is that if you file by April 30 then your paperwork will be processed under the old rules. If you file April 30 or later you fall under the new rules. But for renewals there won't be much different except that they will give you the card.

FYI I keep my FM2 in a ziplock bag to protect it, it's the only way to keep the booklet from wearing out.

6. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I'm under the impression (it's nothing more than that), that people will be limited to 180 days out of any 365, in country, if they have nothing more than an FMM.

If that's the case, Tori, perhaps you could (would need to) apply for a Mexican Tourist Visa, next time around; thereby, getting your stay in the country pre-approved.

7. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V, we almost crossed in the mail on the info to ToriB.

Take care amigo. I am off to the INAPAM place.

8. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Of course I would come in on a FMM, but when I came in in January after a week in Philly, I was asked a million and one questions. Like, how long and I here? where am I staying? do I have a boyfriend here? Yes, they asked me that. I was getting really nervous. I ended up telling them that I am staying at a friends Condo, that I am going to school to learn Spanish (LOL), and I will be in Mexico for 4 months...then heading to Beliz to meet my family and leave from there.
    May use that story again.

9. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    JAJA. They really saw you coming mi amiga.

10. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seriously, he had to have sen the fear written all over me...but I dished that story like a pro.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice