Mexican Citizenship - here I come

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Apr 27, 2007.

1. MartinnVegas

MartinnVegas Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This question goes with the topic, or should I start a new thread?

After marrying a Mexican citizen, how long does it take for you to get any job you want without restrictions? Like a green card thingy? I know you can become a citizen withing 3-5 years, and you can become a resident within a year. But what does that mean? When can you dump your spouse? and be free to work legally in any field in Mex?
    That last question was a joke!

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Martin, that would generally be my way too. Jannet is far better than me at that kind of thing though here, but that's basically our next try.

Kim, the woman didnt mention anything about giving the originals back, but maybe she didnt know. If that's the case then it would be fine... except we will need them for our UK trip in a couple of weeks.

Ideally I'd like to have multiple apostilles of every document, but it's around $100 for each in the UK and copies unapostilled would be at least $50 each, add in the precessing time and it's difficult and expensive to do even on a trip home.

Jeanine, thanks for that. I'll get Jannet to call her. I want to avoid going to DF if I can, and I think we are applying through different qualifying criteria but no harm in making the call.

3. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    I expect that once you have your citizenship then any job is open to you. If applying by virtue of marriage you need to have lived here on FM3 for a min of two years.

As for becoming a "resident" maybe you use a different criteria to me, but to me holding a FM3 is being a resident and it's possible to get that before you even step foot in Mexico.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Martin - I think the answer to your question is 5 years, Read this thread:
    http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26682&highlight=inmigrado

To get a green-card equivalent you need an FM2, and it has 2 stages, the 2nd stage is the closest that Mexico has to a green card (not the same though). Getting an FM3 and then becoming a citizen would be faster, it would only take 3 years or so.

5. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve, you are right, I didn't marry a Mexican girl :lol: :lol: :lol: ... I had to wait until I lived more than 5 years. Lucky you !!!

What I mean is this lady handles the requests for citizenship, so she will tell you exactly what you have to do. Or will refer you to another person. Her secretary is very nice too, but Irma is more accurate. I warn you, it is not easy to reach her, I can't remember at what times you had more chances. I am sure Janett will find out. Maybe they also speak English.

As for the FM3, you are not resident at all, you are just allowed to shup up, even with an FM2 you are not. They just cannot abuse so much. Or they can but they don't.

I really hope for you it will work for your citizenship. :cool:

6. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Thanks Jeanine, will give her a call.

Not to open a can of worms but isn't a resident someone who has permission to live here with no official leaving date rather than someone who is just visiting?

I know, probably a different interpretation accrding to Mexican law :wink:

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think of a Resident as being someone with an FM2 in Inmigrado status, they can work where they want, they don't need to renew with INM each year. Those of us with FM3s aren't residents, we just have permission to visit for a while.

8. MartinnVegas

MartinnVegas Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmmmm....my interpretation of "residency" is:

Well, someone who resides (legally) in a city, state or country. A temporary or non permanent resident would be someone with an FM3.

A permanent resident would have an FM2 I guess. Free to work anywhere and stay indefinitely without being harassed by INM, but without the full benefits of a citizen.

Someone without any of this would be a a tourist, a guest (e.g. a diplomat), or someone from Las Vegas running from the law.

Que no?

9. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am refering to the definition of FM3 and FM2. I don't remember which one is "visitante, no immigrante". In none of them you are resident.

You are a resident after 4 or 5 years of FM2 (you have the Residency status). At THAT time, and only then, you can do any job, and don't have to go to renew to INM.

But in the FM2, there is a description of the jobs you are allowed to do, if you are Rentista. If you work for a company, well.... the description is in your contract. You still cannot do a job a Mexican can. And you can live only in Q. Roo.

OVER with citizenship !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Let's not forget, however, that the tax dept consider you a resident if you spend more than 193 days a year in Mexico, regardless of your immigration status. :^)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice