Mexican Citizenship - here I come

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    As I mentioned previously I'm starting to try and apply for my Mexican passport now I've been here two years on FM 3.

I'll do a step by step and update this thread as we progress.

So far:

- Our UK marriage certificate was already apostilled from the UK (cost about 40 quid)
    - We have had both the marriage certificate and apostille translated into Spanish via official translator (cost 250 pesos and took 4 days)
    - Marriage certificate and apostille (translation and original, plus copies of proof of identity i.e passport copies) needs to be given to the registrary office to have our marriage recognised in Mexico, receive some more paperwork, and move on to the next step.

Jannet is going to the registry office this Monday, and I'll post what happens.

2. R.I. GAL

R.I. GAL Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Best wishes in your latest "adventure" Steve & Jannet :cool: :!:

3. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve, please do keep us informed. I was planning on waiting until next year (5th year here on FM3) and applying for my nationalization card, but if I can start the process now I would do it in a heart beat.

4. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    congrats, Steve! :D I hope everything will go fast.

But I am not sure they will work on Monday. Tuesday is Labor day, and it is such a GREAT opportunity to take one more day off. Some offices already told me they won't work Monday. I would need Telmex, I am not sure...

Frank, if you apply for the 5 years residency, they will NOT allow you to start the process before it is done, and you have to have your FM... just renewed. There is also a requirement of the max numbers of days you have been out of the country within the last 2 years. That's why I had to wait until I have been here for almost 7 years. My father just passed away at that time, and I had to be out of the country too much. And, be sure they check with INM , you have to fill in a paper. :lol:

Good luck, it is SOOOOOO easy after that.

5. MartinnVegas

MartinnVegas Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    will you be sworn in wearing a sombrero and huaraches?

6. jenleib

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are worn to have a siesta everyday and a fiesta every night :lol:

7. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thx Jen..I guess I'll have to apply for my FM3 next March. Already renewed it 4 times. In the past 4 years I've been out of the country a total of about 90 days. Do you know what the alloted time out is?

8. jenleib

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't worry, they are interested only in the last 2 years, and it is much more than that.

I cannot find the requiremnts, only the letter I wrote with my dates out of the country from 2003 to 2005.

MAYBE- only maybe - you are lucky to renew your FM3 in March. it was my case too, and I got the citizenship within 11 months. I know someone who renewed in Nov (18 months ago), and didn't receive the agreement. So I think, but it is only my guess, that they have a quota for the year, and it is the first come first served system. I don't have other examples of refused people. Unless they went to jail and I am not aware of it :lol:

Of course, they just never asked for more money, they don't say we cannot accept you, even less give a reason.

9. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve,

Though you and I are not exactly close knit,
    I (and I think others as well) would be interested in understanding why you'd opt to take on Mexican citizenship - and what the ramifications of that would be - such as:

Does England allow for dual citizenship, or would you be abandoning that to take on the Mexican citizenship?

What about kids (current and any future) - How does this affect them (or does it)?

Are there advantages to Mexican citizenship (compared to UK) outside of the business aspects?

10. Zibbyzap

Zibbyzap Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hope things go hassle-free. Will we then have to call you "Esteban" after it is official? :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice