Meeting with Oasis Viva Jan 29th

Discussion in 'Grand Oasis Viva' started by Steve, Jan 29, 2014.

1. desire-66

desire-66 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Beach looks nice. I guess I'll have to fit in a 2 minute walk through somewhere in our ten day stay on to way to pool bar. Lol.

2. Jannet

Jannet Mexican Hottie Owner

Ratings:
    +756 / 1
    We would be there !! Whatever Hahaha I will said it Again , I like the place .

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    We ate at the Schilla Bar which is Moroccan theme.

We ate there before Christmas and I was a bit disappointed. They have about 9 things on the menu, and about 4 of them weren't available.

Today everything we asked for was available.

We had a chickpea and cumin hummus with tortilla chips as an appetiser. I had a chicken brochetta (kind of like a kebab on a skewer) with a mild spicy sauce served with rice. Jannet had grilled fish with a hotter spicy sauce. Curry of the day was Veal.

We got there around 1:20pm - so peak time for lunch and there was no waiting for a table. The food was good and presented nicely, fairly small portions but fine by me. Service was really good, although we were sitting with a Manager so you would expect it to be :)

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Accu and vacationfun2: We do intend to stay overnight at GOV at some point in the future because we have only been during the day time so far.

We will definitely pick a time when there are lots of folks from cancuncare there, but it's tough at the moment as it's our busiest time of year. Also with two young kids in school it's not always easy to get away for overnights.

We will do it soon!

5. Brian & Audrey

Brian & Audrey Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +116 / 0
    Hey Steve any night between June 4th-10th sounds awesome!!:daveandmo:

6. breezesfan

breezesfan Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Everything sounds fine, except was the part about the Russians. (Eastern Europeans as the politically correct call them). Had a couple of almost unpleasant trips to Jamaica because of large groups of them showing up. Kinda like the large groups of single guys
    coming to TTR.

You got the distinct impression that they did not like Americans/Canadians in the least. There was this really drunk Canadian guy who had overdosed on Rocky and Bullwinkle as a child and loved to refer to all of them as Boris Badenoff and Natastia Harm. (He was very good as the background voice in the old TV show.) Added a bit of comedy to a potentially bad situation.

Never seen that many at TTR!!

7. KenNJoyce

KenNJoyce I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    It will be interesting to see how they evolve over time. Temptations is still evolving from it's days as Blue Bay Getaway... and there are quite a few things I still miss about BBG. But anyway, it's up to their management to decide where they end up.... thanks Steve for an up to date report

8. scottydog

scottydog I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,124 / 2
    We're very interested in giving it a try at some point...probably after some trip reports tell us they have worked out some of their transition issues. Thanks for keeping us informed!

9. summerbum

summerbum I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +738 / 0
    I work with some Russians, and there are a couple things that can make it challenging to mix Americans with with them...but they are lots of fun if you can break down some of the barriers.

In addition to language, there's the smiling thing--in Eastern Europe, if you run around smiling all the time, you "look like village ee-dee-ut!" according to my Russian friend.

It creeps them out when we're nodding and grinning at them. Their default face can be very stern, which we see as judgmental and mean. So, if we're trying to make friends by smiling and making eye contact, they are likely to be uncomfortable and look away, and we're likely to think they're unfriendly. A shot of vodka can do wonders...

10. summerbum

summerbum I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +738 / 0
    Steve, the fact they're working with you on the Boobs Cruise has restored my faith in the management. Still, I can't help but be baffled by a "business plan" in which you design, produce and display an elaborate poster for a catamaran cruise before you do some simple things like, oh, find a boat?

Is this standard operating procedure in Mexico?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice