Medical Tip for Old Folks

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by tristan1749, Aug 18, 2013.

1. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't know how many of you are familiar with sciatica, but I became quite familiar with it almost two years ago. I had the worst case of sciatica I've ever heard of. I hurt almost every waking moment and could hardly get out of bed some days. A month ago, I discovered Lertus, an over the counter drug that isn't available in the states. Since the day I started taking one a day, I have practically forgotten about my sciatica. I can't understand it, because Lertus is just an NSAID, similar to aspirin, tylenol, etc, but those drugs did me no good. There is also a Lertus CD, which contains codeine but requires a prescription. The codeine doesn't have curative powers, that I know of, though. I'm hoping the sciatica won't return when I quit taking it, but, if it does, I'll just keep taking it.

I discovered it when my wife started taking it for back pain and it worked.

Just thought I'd share since most of us on this forum are probably in, or close to, our golden years.

2. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had Sciatica twice in my lifetime and I was not old but actually in my 30's at the time. Its simply an inflamation of the nerve pressing againts the muscle next to the nerve. Any anti inflammatory medication will eventually make it go away in time. Some work faster than others. The inflamation will also disappear if you do not put any stress on the nerve by walking, etc. Best place for it is in bed for a couple of days with my legs slighly elevated to take off the pressure from the muscle and therefore the nerve. At least that worked for me and I did not take any medications other than Advil or Tylenol. Eventually it will take time for it to heal but it will heal with or without medication. What you are taking takes away the pain and that is fine, but it will not heal the inflamation unless its anti inflammatory.

3. motorave49

motorave49 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I'm glad you got some results, Tristan. The active ingredient in Lertus is diclofenac sodium, an anti inflamatory drug. It, along with any number of other NSAIDs, would be effective to reduce any inflamation of the nerve root associated with your condition.

The other drugs you mentioned, aspirin and tylenol, are not nearly so effective in relieving inflamation as are the NSAIDs, though they will relieve pain.

5. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Aspirin and Tylenol ARE NSAIDS, as is Lertus, although each NSAID apparently attacks the inflammation in a different manner.

Apparently those of you who say it will "eventually go away" aren't familiar with real cases of sciatica. My brother has had a milder case for years, and nothing has made it go away. Mine was crippling. I tried the other NSAIDS for a year and none of them worked. I tried bed rest, exercises, drugs.....Lertus is not a pain medicine. It's an NSAID, None Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug. Lertus CD is an NSAID with Codeine for the pain.

Hey, I wasn't trying to start an argument. Just sharing an experience that maybe would help someone else. I've heard of people who claim they had sciatica for a little while. That wasn't my case or my brothers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice