Maybe this is not a stupid question

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., May 19, 2007.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It has been quite a while since I have been a tourist in Cancun and I have a few questions.

How much does it cost to send a post card from here to Canada?

Where would I buy the stamp or stamps?

Where would I mail the card from?

I want the path of least resistance. In my tourist days they would sell stamps from the hotel gift shop or from a shop in the HZ and I could drop them in a mail slot.

I recently acquired a new 10 year old nephew by virtue of a family wedding and I have been asked to be his pen pal, since the other one, his former baby sitter, went off to college and forgot about him. How could I not step up to this task.

Thanks to all.

2. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi TJ,

No question is stupid... sometimes the answer can be!!!

I am not sure about how much it costs, but that doen't matter, since when you buy them (one or several) they never have the stamps at THAT price. So they sell you something more expensive. Are you surprised???? :lol:

You can buy them at the post office at the mercado 28, or on Tulum there are a pharmacy and a book (or paper)store, it is what I know.

And you can throw them in the big red boxes, about everywhere. Not sure when they leave, even less when they reach the recipient :wink: Or you can give them to me, I am going to the US next week. Unless of course you want a stamp from Cancun....

3. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you. I am going to the US next week as well but I wanted a Mexican stamp since it is for a youngster who showed me the locks in the Ottawa area, explained how they worked, and walked to the middle of this almost raging river, jumping from rock to rock, much to the dismay of his relatives.

I am heading out for $1 beers at the Canadian place and will try the little store near there which is where I bought the post card.

4. ELLABEAR424

ELLABEAR424 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, T.J. just remember that he is ONLY 10 and he might not get as excited as you over $1.00 beers. :lol:
    Keep it P.G. and you will make a great Pen Pal!!!!!

5. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are quite the comedian Ms. Bear.

I actually went to this gift shop close to the $1 beer place (Club Sandwich Cafe). They had some postage stamps hanging on the wall behind the cash register. They were all $13 pesos and that is what it said on the stamp. The guy said one would get to both the US or Canada.

I had seen a red Buzon (mailbox) in front of the Blockbuster on Uxmal (thanks jenleib) so dropped the card in the box on the way home.

SO, CASE CLOSED. THANKS TO ALL.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've mailed a number of postcards that never got to their US destinations...

It might be more practical to be the kid's email pen pal...

7. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So, now, just pray. they say that solves all the problems!!! :lol: I am going to do the same for my apartment.

8. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RG - I suggested email pen pals but the parents don't let the kids email just yet, at ages 8 and 10. I too thought it was a great idea and saved on stamps too but I respect their decision.

9. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The email thing could work out if the parents were to print the emails that you send and give it to the kid. If they are ambitious, they could even put it in an envelope and make it look all official like.

Just an idea

10. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had to do a double take when I saw TJ's name beside a Subject that said it was a "stupid question", as he always steps up to the plate to answer *my* stupid questions.

We just got back to Canada from 7 weeks in our new condo in Puerto Morelos, and you'd appreciate, with your great sense of humour, this non-answer to your question, TJ: my wife wanted to send postcards to a sister here in Canada who is too old for email - unlike your nephew who is too young. I told her not to waste her time and money since all the experts on Cancun Care maintain that Mexican mail almost never arrives!!

BTW, what's with River Girl presenting this new, sophisticated, hidden-face avatar? Can we get her to bring back her old one. It was my #1, behind Ana's b/w one. Now I prefer *yours*........lol. It's just wrong!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice