Market 28 vs. Market 23?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by mpearson564, Sep 20, 2007.

1. mpearson564

mpearson564 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can anyone tell me the difference between Market 28 and Market 23? How do I get to either one from the Omni?

2. raretail

raretail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    28 seems to me to be a bit more tourist oriented. Not in a bad way though - I like to be a tourist. It just has more items that would appeal to someone who wanted to buy some gifts and stuff. There are some great places to eat there too...you know, the kind of places with the red "coke" chairs.
    23 is more real deal market with meat hanging outside and chicken legs everywhere and the amazing smells of cooking meat and large trucks throwing out elote.
    Both fun - just different.

3. rodman

rodman Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    28 is geared to the touristas, and 23 more to the locals, but you can go either way! Do both, we have, and will again...avoid the all american places.....when in Cancun, ....... :lol:
    As far as getting there, refer to the busline instructions on this website, or the ones on the can do maps site.....dig deep, and you will find the answers to your questions.... :!:

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    DIRECTIONS

MERCADE 23

Take the R-1 bus and get off at McDonalds as you get into Downtown. It's like the 3rd or 4th stop. Cross the street, you have the right of way on the raised crossing areas, called topes. Turn right and walk 3 or so blocks and turn left on to Cedro. Walk 1 block and you are there. Coming back just walk back but do not cross the street back to McDonalds. Grab an R-1 bus or any bus that says Zona Hotelera or Hotel Zone or Hoteles on the front.

MERCADO 28

The simplest way is to take the R-2 bus and get off at the Walmart stop. Flag a taxi and it is 18 pesos PER RIDE, not per person. Coming back to get the bus back to the Hotel Zone, it will be like 30 pesos IF you catch a cab in the market parking lot. Walk to the street and get one and its 18. Always establish the price before getting in a cab as they are not metered. Take the taxi back to Walmart and there is a bus stop almost in front of it.

OR, forget the taxi. When you get off the bus at the Walmart, there is a light there and the side street is Tankah. Take a right onto Tankah. A block or so ahead, you can see that the road goes to the right. As you bend around to the right Market 28 is on your left. You will be able to see the signs but when you get to this crosswalk / tope, look to the left and you are there.

HINTS:

Market 28 fronts on 4 streets so it is pretty much contained in a city block, but a large one. Look for something across the street from where you enter the Market, like if you are walking to and from the bus, as a landmark.

When you get off of any bus at your destination, cross the street when you want to get back the other way.

The bus TO Walmart stops one block over from Walmart while the bus back departs from the street where Walmart is located. So where you get off the bus is totally different than where you get back on.

If you feel lost, just ask someone. It's not like New York or Miami. We are glad you are here and glad to help. And we are used to the questions. Many times, if you even look lost or uncertain, someone will ask if they can help you. But you cannot buy a cheap Rolex.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice