mariachis, yes or no...

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by gbchayctca, Dec 4, 2005.

?

Mariachis - Do you like them?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LeahN47

LeahN47 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like them

2. El Arracadas

El Arracadas Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It all depends on the circumstances...

Once in Colima(My hometown)

It was about 11:30 Pm...

I waited for my wife to fall sleep so I could get out and find a Mariachi Band in the downtown area, they(six of them) followed me all the way to my mother's home and when we got there, they started to play baladas..

I serenated my wife with about 6 songs until she finally got up and showed up by the window..It was a very amazing experience for me and my wife...and My mother of course...she was so proud..

When I am at a Restaurant I usually find it annoying when they show up at your table and start singing, then they start to make you feel like you owed them money...THAT I DON'T LIKE AT ALL..

So..for me it is 50/50 depending on the situation...

3. mamamia

mamamia Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love listening to the mariachi music but I hate when they come to my table. It interferes with our conversation and general enjoyment of our meal. I like my privacy too much. As long as they play on a stage or far away from my table I like them.

4. Poppa150

Poppa150 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mariachis, tanto me gustan

I love 'em.

Two brief encounters:

1. Riding the Aztec Eagle from Nuevo Laredo to Mexico in 1969. Not a real comfy trip but fascinating. At every stop, the local people come on board to sell stuff. Train stops a daybreak at some very small town in desert. I am barely awake. Then, behind me, 3 mariachis blast into song. Wow!
    Hey, so what if everyone's asleep -- this is their chance to make some money. Never forget that.

2. Down on Garibaldi Square in Mexico many years later. In a bar. A woman, seated at a table with a couple of guys. She is 50-60, has a few years hard use in her face and demeanor. But she SINGS!!!! OMG!
    (pardon the exclamation marks). No, she isn't doing mariachi music,
    more like a woman's variety of ranchero, but the mariachis play for her and it's great.[/i]

5. Poppa150

Poppa150 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Baladas

Yes, Alex, that's the term I didn't know but which applies well.

6. El Arracadas

El Arracadas Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Poppa

Have you serenated anyone before?

In Mexico..

What did they sing?

Trovas?

7. Poppa150

Poppa150 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Back to Trova

Hey, what an idea! I actually know a man who has his own trio

and they do serenatas. Why didn't I have them serenade my wife and

sister last time down there? I am a dead loss at romance.

8. El Arracadas

El Arracadas Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Poppa

The funny part about the Serenata for my wife:

My mom's neighbors came to her the following day asking her who serenated her the night before..

You would know how mexicans are in a very small town, they all know each other..

My Mom had a blast telling people that it was a pretendiente of hers Lol..

She is over 60 years old so you can imagine what people were saying..

El arguende!!

9. AbuelitaQ

AbuelitaQ Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Alex........Mama was not so far fetched. Mature women are so much more mentally free in expressing romance. Over 60 is no longer old. It just looks that way, by the numbers. Think about Tina Turner.

Poppa...........a seranade, or reasonable facsimile, might just be a way to celebrate Momma150's birthday. A few local Mexican restaurants, near here, have Trova, & Mariachi. Make some calls around to see who might have them, near you.

10. Jannet

Jannet Mexican Hottie Owner

Ratings:
    +756 / 1
    I like mariachis

Jannet

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice