Making my vehicle legal in Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by HammieJ, Apr 28, 2011.

1. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, the process for getting a tourist visa to the US is much more complicated and involved. You have to make an appointment at the US Consulate in Merida (which last time I heard was $135 for just the appointment) and go through the interview process. They'll determine if you're eligible for a tourist visa and what type (single entry or multiple entry). You have to bring a lot of proof regarding ties to Mexico that show that you've got no intention of overstaying (hard proof like bank accounts, properties, businesses not like: I really love my country and family and just want to visit the US).

As to whether one can say they've got a good chance of getting a tourist visa, that all depends on the individual and their personal circumstances and background. There was a poster on here whose wife seemed to have no problem getting one but I don't know the specifics of her situation. I know that any of my in-laws would most likely be denied outright, even though they truly would never want to leave Yucatan.

As far as the process being difficult because of Mexicans doing it improperly, I think that's more supposition than fact. Most of the Mexicans I know simply entered without inspection (crossed on foot) and never even would attempt to get a tourist visa whereas people I know without proper authorization to be here of other nationalities seem to be more likely to come with a tourist or business visa and the overstay. But that is just anecdotal on my part, it's just what I've noticed over the years. Makes sense, too, because Mexico shares a land border with the US and the people without papers from other places often have to fly in (Cape Verde, Dominican republic, etc).

2. HammieJ

HammieJ I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    That definitely sucks. He probably won't even get to meet my family until we r married in that case. I wonder if I could make it "look" like we were move to the USA but then just keep doing the 180 days Visa in Mexico with a day trip to belize or somewhere, lol..... if that would even be possible! :( lol. With the second part, that was just what my other Mexican friends tell me.

Thanks again for your info!! You are quite helpful :)

3. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wouldn't advise trying to make it look like you were moving to the US for the purpose of getting a green card. The fiance visa is actually used as a single entry permission to go into the US for the express purpose of getting marrying (within 90 days of crossing). Then you actually have to file from the US for the 2 year conditional green card (providing reams and reams of proof not only of your residence in the US but your relationship). Then when that two years is about up, you have to file to have the conditions removed from the PR status so he can get the ten year, providing even more proof of financial and personal ties to the US.

So that's the long answer as to why it'd be a very, very bad idea. He could essentially black ball himself from ever receiving legal entry into the US.

That's just the way it goes with relationships between Americans, who have crazy amount of freedom to travel, and other countries with more limited resources. My family would come down and visit me and that's how they met my husband.

Good luck!

4. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Regarding the insurance...what kind of policy do you get for $399.50? What does it cover?
    Is it mandatory to have car insurance in Cancun? I would tend to believe that most drivers here do not have any insurance.

5. HammieJ

HammieJ I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0

wowwww okay!!! good to know! lol definitely dont want to screw anything up!! lol

6. SuninFun

SuninFun Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You'll definitely have some permits & regulations to deal with. My major concern would be that the car fits the spec requirements for Mexico, in addition to the import taxes. Those two alone can make it quite expensive. If you're hell bent on doing it anyway, I've used a1autotransport in the past for shipping to Mexico and they were very knowledgable and professional.

7. canukcun

canukcun Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Not sure if it was mentioned but when you get your import permit you can get your insurance tooin the same building at least in metamoros on the other side of Brownsville.

Lock your doors and leave your windows up fully.
    Keep an eye out for cueta 180? If you miss it you can get stuck in moros.

The drive is not really dangerous but road conditions can vary in central mexico.

Bring car repair tools like tire spray foam.

My first trip to mexico was by car, the border point gave me a visa to Cancun. I got as far as catamaco south of veracruz before the cambiosdexchage stopped changing my Canadian dollars. Worrying how I would buy gas, without pesos, and taking the roadside sale of mesoamerican limestone craft items as a sign that I had found souvenirs I turned back. Took 2 or 3 years before I made it all the way to Cancun.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice