MAGICJACK Internet Phone Issue

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by SamCancun, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam,

I have Vonage and have had it (and love it!) for about 6 years. When I first got it, I had some quality problems, like you mentioned. In Vonage, you can change settings to increase the quality/clarity of a call/connection. I'm guessing Magic Jack would have some similar setting. Also, at that time, my computer was old/slow, which probably didn't help matters.

After upgrading my computer and changing that Vonage setting, I've had near-perfect clarity/quality...although there are still times when it's a bit screwy, but not too often.

Good luck!

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam - Have you tried using Skype to see if you have a similar issue? You can charge a Skype account for $15 USD or so (they charge in Pounds). You might try it to see if you learn anything about your MagicJack issues.

Both Vonage and Skype are pretty on top of things when it comes to monitoring call quality and trying to fix things.

I too have noticed what Coby describes...the worst quality calls are ones that are VOIP to VOIP. Vonage to Vonage, or Vonage to VOIP calls are more likely to have a slight echo, or something weird. Though lately the biggest problem I have with my Vonage is the occasional (1 out of 50) dropped call, which is much nicer than poor quality.

It seems to me that you might have a setting that needs to be changed, though I'm too ignorant to know which one. If you were to use Skype and have a similar problem I'll bet Skype would help you troubleshoot it. That might teach you what you need to know to make MagicJack work. Just a thought.

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Although this thread is about MagicJack, I'd like to add that we've been using Skype for years and found it very cheap and normally quite good. Just occasionally, there is a problem with dropped calls, but even that's not normally a problem or, if it is, just requires calling back to restore the call.

Calls can be made from your computer to land based phones, mobile phones, and other computers.

4. e.b.

e.b. Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Magic jack

I got my MJ two years ago and used it in PDC until last July when, all of a sudden, it just decided to quit. Spent a couple of hours on the phone with support to no avail other then them telling me that I didn't have enough power (I'm sure that's not the word they used but it's the best I can do right now). I believe they said the signal is coming from Honduras and the speed wasn't fast enough. Why it was fast enough for a year and a half and then not so much since last July I don't know. My neighbors have had the same issue. Now, I use SKYPE but MJ sure was nice while it lasted.

5. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try Skype. It will cost you nothing. Install it and then make the test call that's listed in the contact list. It's an answering machine that will play back your message. That way you can assess the incoming and outgoing quality. If it is satisfactory, and I'll bet it will be, you can set up a "Pro" account with a United States phone number and an answering service. Costs are minimal.

Advantages = great call quality, inexpensive, Skype to Skype calls are free.

Disadvantages = computer must be turned on all the time. You can, however, buy a Skype phone which will plug into your router, allowing you to turn off your computer. There are even wireless Skype phones that communicate with your router via wireless G but they are a bit expensive.

6. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After doing a lot of reading last night about MJ issues and the fact it is still awful, i am willing to give Skype a go. However, before i do, a question...

Can i use my phone that is plugged into the computer via the MJ USB to dial on Skype? I don't have a microphone and headset, do i need to get one or a phone with a direct USB plug on it?

7. Cokewithlime

Cokewithlime Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +246 / 3
    You can do either of the following

- purchase a stand alone Skype phone such as this one which just requires an internet connection or this one which operates via USB connection to your computer ( which must be on in order to make or receive Skype calls )
    or
    - purchase this adapter for regular phones DLink DPH-50U — VoIP Supply . This unit is discontinued, but still available from some suppliers - I purchased a new sealed unit recently for $15 CAD

8. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Or just go into Sterens or (shudder) Walmart and pick up the cheapest non-USB headset and microphone. It won't cost you more that 200 pesos.

Another consternation of life here in Mexico is that the Skype Store ships through Amazon and Amazon will not ship electronics to Mexico. Nice Catch-22 there, even if the Skype Store says it's the Mexican Store.

9. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, I went into Sterens yesterday in Malecon and they seemed confused as to what a headset was that worked with a computer!! They offered me stand alone microphones :) I will check Walmart later and give this a go because following all the ideas online about how to get this MagicJack working is frankly doing my head in, i have tried using a different phone and get the same problem, i even tried the QoS method with a program called FosSpeed, which seemed to just make my internet worse and not improve the phone at all. I don't think it's the Proxy server i am on with MagicJack either, so i'm reluctant to bother going through the steps to change that, it's just weird that it is working great for some people and not for me, it seems i have a good enough internet connection, a decent phone and i'm sure the USB ports built into my machine are getting enough power. Confused!

10. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also, the weird thing is, they say they can hear me perfectly at the other end (most of the time), it's just choppy coming from them.

Also with Skype, i take it as i can get a US number, i am assuming it will be free for my boss to call me from her MagicJack, so it shouldn't bother her i'm hoping, just the wasted cost of this MagicJack system.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice