Losing my connection all the time, anyone can help?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by jenleib, Apr 25, 2009.

1. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am with Infinitum, 2 computers are in my study where there is no problem (well... not more than usual :) )

My baby computer sits in the living room, a few meters away from the router (the house is not big). When I bring it to the study, I haven't noticed disconnection, but there I lose the connection every time I reboot it (about a million times now that I update everything). I have "connection limited or no connectivity" and I need to refresh the settings (possible cause from Toshiba Connectivity Doctor: "IP address was not set properly"). How strange :roll: Even when I have the connection it is only "very good", in the study it is "excellent".

Would anyone know why I have this problem? Is there a special setting to do? Can't I go from one room to the other? Normally I thought I could even go to the beach... (downstairs), I have the signal for the phone there.

Thanks a lot for all your help, you wizards :lol:

2. BVG_Steve

BVG_Steve Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    some suggestions I found in a search

1. Reset router - shut down computers and then unplug everything including the cable to the router and then wait 5 minutes then plug your cable to the modem, then your modem to the computer and then turn the computer on.

2. Bad signal = Bad placement. Before you return your wireless router because you don’t get a signal try to place it in a new spot. Remember the default Di-Pole omni-directional antennas do not transmit from the tips they transmit from the sides radiating in a doughnut type pattern. So if you have your wireless router near a outside wall half your signal is going outside.

3 disable your anti-virus and see if your connection mysteriously drops.

4. delete/disable any other netowrks listed as available besides the one you are wanting to connect to

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Assuming you rnew computer came with Vista, open Network and Sharing Center. Select Manage wireless networks from the left side of the panel. Delete each and every wireless connection.

Open a command window and type "arp -d" without the quotes and hit Enter. Close the command window and reboot. Let Windows re-discover the wireless connection and then connect to it, providing whatever security settings you are using. That should solve it.

If you've downgraded to XP the steps are similar. Delete all wireless connections, flush the arp cache, reboot, rediscover, connect.

And, since we've been there before, check your firewall rules, make sure your new machine is in the allowed scope of your ip range in the firewall and that the new machine is a member of the same workgroup as the rest of your machines.

I hope this helps.

4. jenleib

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Steve and Mel.

I have XP Pro in them all, but in the new one the XP and other software installed were very outdated, so I did all that boring work, needing to reboot another million times.

I can't bring my router back since I have "excellent" signal in 2 comps.

I moved it a bit but you know, Mel, how tiny my work space is. And doing the rest you advise me to.

M., check your PM, please

And thanks

5. jenleib

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry, but it seems the more I do, the more I screw it up.

Now they are all side by side, before it worked that way, now it doesn't. It takes a long time "acquiring IP address".... then I get again limited or no connectivity.... with signal excellent. The other 2 work. I set all the 3 alike, I don't know what else to do. I even restored it to yesterday, nothing.

Any help? Thanks

6. asdavis

asdavis Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One of the dirty little secrets that the wireless hardware vendors don't tell you is that the wireless routers can very easily interfere with each other. Even in my rural area where our houses are 250 feet apart, my neighbors new wireless router was stepping on my signal when I was more than a room or two away from my router. Now there are generally 11 "channels" that you can choose from (for North American devices), however these channels overlap and thus can interfere with each other. There are only 3 non-overlapping channels: 1, 6 and 11. Check to see which channel you are using and pick another from the three I just mentioned and see if that helps. You don't have to reconfigure the PCs. They surf all 11 channels looking for a signal.

Good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice