Looking for Cancun LASIK surgery recommendations...

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Life_N_Cancun, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looking for LASIK recommendations... I've been looking for a place in or around Cancun to have my eyes Lasik'd. The places in the malls seems overpriced and under-visited to me so I'd like some alternatives. I recall reading years ago about someone here would had it done locally with good results, but I couldn't find the thread, so I'm looking for any recommendations you all may wish to share.....

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @Life: My wife did it in Perfect Vision.

Everything went perfect and she says "Its the best decision in her life" (after marrying me, that is, hehe ;))

Its located next to Starbucks on Bonampak. I think its Bonampak - Uxmal to be more precise.

The cost was 17 000 pesos, but I assume it depends on the treatment....?

Dont know how much you had in mind.

The Doc speaks perfect English as well, if that helps :)

Perfect Vision Cancun

3. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A coworker also used Perfect Vision on Bonampak. I think she said it cost 15000 pesos (a little less than Rawkus' estimate, but I may be wrong) She hasn't had any problems or side effects, and her vision is great!

She told me they have a payment program where you can pay around $1000 pesos a month (I believe), if you're interested. Not sure if it includes interest.

I plan on doing it with them later this year. :)

4. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the reply.. 17,000 is on the high side IMHO and I think perfect vision is one of the ones in the malls.. which probably contributes to the price tag... good to hear they did a good job though... I expect any payment plans are reserved for Mexicans with Mexican credit....

Lasik has gotten pretty affordable in the States but by the time I made a trip, paid lodging, and everything else there wouldn't be any savings.... my mom had it done some years ago at "the best" place in Florida with a doc that had tens of thousands of procedures to his name and it was around $800 including all pre and post op care.. and that was years ago when it wasn't as popular.... so here in Mexico where malpractice insurance isn't a factor, doctors/nurses earn less, rent is less, and so on so forth, I'd hate to pay twice the price unless there is no alternative...

5. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @Gringation: Apparently it depends on the treatment. She was quoted "17 000 - 21 000" before they did all the tests :)

But yeah, it was fast, professional etc. Cant complain at all :)

@Life: Dont know what the prices "should" be around here, but I know we pay about 1200$US per eye back home, so 17 000 MXP sounds great to me, hehe ;)

6. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I guess its possible that the prices have actually gone up even though its more popular than ever.... a quick search on Google found advertisements in Florida for "as low as" $299 (per eye) so it's still somewhat affordable in the US assuming those places know what they're doing. The basic procedure itself seems like a trained monkey could do it so long as the machine is working properly... although I'd probably have to do one eye at a time if I go the trained monkey route just to be safe.. :icon_mrgreen:

7. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hahahahaha :D

I think trained monkeys could do a LOT of good here in Cancun.

CFE, Cablemenos, Telmex etc. ;)

EDIT: That seems like a REALLY good price! It would be cheaper for my brother to fly from Sweden and do it in US than doing it back home! :O

8. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How right you are!

As for the $299 places.. even I, the cheapskate of cheapskates, would be careful before letting them mess with my eyes.. although I'm sure a lot of really good doctors have to offer low prices to get their clinics started. I think one of the reasons my mom got a good price at a good place was shear volume.. that place was busy every time we went from pre-op to post. On the other hand places here might only do a few procedures a week given that its very expensive for your average Mexican...

9. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Perfect Vision- Dr Carlos Alocer Lamm is fabulous . He explains everything very clearly, is kind and gentle. I had the treatment , my mum flew out from Uk and had it and so did my daughter.
    He is worth every peso.
    Good Luck
    Tracey

10. Benuk

Benuk Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is very interesting what with my girl friend being Swedish too!, can you have a free test where they can say how much it will cost you?.
    Do you have to book it or just turn up?. I see the link to the website but thought we would ask you first.
    We may well pop in there tomorrow as there prices are less then a 3rd England are charging. As for advertised prices, ignore them. We see so many places advertising £350 per eye, but when you went to them and had there "free" test is would work out well over £3000.

Many thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice