longer term (2-4 weeks) stay in Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by sofi, Oct 5, 2008.

1. sofi

sofi Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am planning to move to cancun in November, does anyone know of any cheap and safe places that I can stay at for 2-4 weeks while looking for more permanent accomodation? it doesn't really matter if its in the hotel zone or downtown, as long as its safe, close to transport and not too expensive. Thanks

2. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    It's doubtful you'll get a private rental arrangement for such a short period of time but there are lots of hotels downtown which are inexpensive clean and close to amenities, like the one suggested above.

Downtown would be a much better place to base your quest for a longer arrangement if you're looking for something inexpensive. Make sure you view lots of different places before you choose one.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If it were me I would make a reservation somewhere downtown for a couple of nights. Then I would go hotel to hotel and ask to see rooms and then I would talk about their longer term rates. There's a big mix of quality here and I can't stand it when I commit to a crappy room without seeing it, knowing I could have done better if I just hunted more.

5. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How about Sotavento yacht club on the hotel zone? Its clean and modern - nice pool and its in a very safe quiet area. Its also close to Downtown. Steves got it on Cancuncare for 46 bucks a night with a buffet continental breakfast. Could be a very good option?

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, if you want cheap, there are tons of hostels that are safe, close to transportation and dirt cheap. You can get a bed in a dorm style room for $100 MXN or more private accomodations for $200 or less.

Gonzo's suggestion is a nice place and has been popular with budget conscious travelers for years.

I would forget the HZ, no matter what. It is doubtful than you can get anything cheaper than what Matkirk suggests but that is still 30 some % higher than Gonzo hangout. Plus food and drinks and entertainment are about double what you can find downtown.

Keep working and looking, but look downtown if you are on a budget.

7. GONZO

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Plus its right near all the bars on Yaxchilan Av. :D
    Say TJ if you eat breakfast have you ever eaten at the ?Tapito? where Yaxchilan ends at Uxmal? I go there most mornings when we vacation there. Love there Mexican eggs special. just wondered if youve tried that place or know of something better near there.

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gonzo,

Yes I have eaten there a couple of times and enjoyed it and it was dirt cheap.

You need to hike over to Tulum, cross the street, hang a left and when you get to Lopez Portillo there is this little place on that corner, more facing Lopez so technically you have to make the right onto Lopez.

Here they have something that you don't see all over town - LECHON, which is to pork what veal is to beef. Piping hot tortas de lechon are my favorite. Be conservative with the salsa as it will kick your butt but it has great flavor.

To drink they have aguas fresca and the bring you like a blender full. Agua de Melon is my favorite.

It is a step up from street meat and you may have to share tables with other customers. Unless Bundy and I are there you will be the only gringos. Even lost tourists don't stumble into this little jewel.

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That place is called El Tapatio, I think. It's owned by my favorite vecino borracho's best friend. The owners get drunk with my neighbor every Friday. They are really nice people.

10. GONZO

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yep thats it Rivergirl, we call it the patio for short. Like TJ said dirt cheap and more than you could ever eat. The Lady who seems to always be there and the younger guys are really nice, last time I went there was a huge wind and it blew all the umbrellas all over the place, I helped the guy pick them up.

TJ,
    I like to venture out away from the tourist areas and that sounds like a good morning adventure. Another place I stumbled into that no tourists were in is a bar called Papa Gayos near market 23. There were a couple local guys in there and we just peeked our head in and were about to leave and these 2 told us to come in as they dont see many tourists there. So we bought a few rounds and made some non english speaking locals very happy with the crazy gringo. Here is a pic that the 2 of them made me take.
    [​IMG]
    We had a good time and they brought you free food with every cervesa ordered. Gotta love it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice