Local Services

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where locals could post their experience of local services good or bad. Please only post from personal experience:

Here's one to start with.

Drainage Services
    Aguas Negras
    Tel 887 7337 or 842 3076

We had a problem with a blocked drain yesterday and called a local company pretty much at random. The company arrived promptly and carried out the work efficiently and cleanly (removing a chunk of concrete and a sealant bottle from the drain). In order to do this they had to dig a side trench and break the drain which they then repaired and filled in. Total cost of work was 650 pesos which I thought reasonable.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    and I ought to add this one!

Obstetrician
    Dr Oriol Oliverez
    AmeriMed Hospital
    Cancun

Dr Oriol was the Obstetrician for our new baby born a few weeks ago and also performed the caesarian. A Cuban, he doesnt speak English but is highly professional and clearly a leader in his field. He is widely regarded as one of the best in Cancun and has a regular local TV spot on womens health issues. Very caring nature and offers great personal attention. Consultations are 500 pesos a time. Amerimed are also equipped with the latest 4D ultrasound equipment which is reasonably priced. Could not fault the whole expreience of using AmeriMed for the birth of our baby. We continue to use AmeriMed for our baby's check ups and I will post a review once I get to know the Paedatrician a little better.

3. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oriol is my obstetrican and I trust him very much; will have no doubt to recomend him as a profesional and accurate Dr.

4. lilnottsman

lilnottsman Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here are a few of my recommendations and people to avoid.

If you use any of the companies don't forget to mention Jason and Lidia from Los Naranjos sent you. It may be worth something to me one day :)

Highly Recommended
    Blinds:
    Galeria Vertical
    Av. Coba No. 55-A, SM 25, Entre Camito y Guanabana, Cancun, Quintana Roo, CP 77509
    887-44-47
    Sells and installs Vertilux blinds (Spanish). Not the best quality blinds - not the worst either. Reasonable prices.
    Highly recommended because of customer service. We had problems with one of the blinds installed - some Mexicans may not have even complained. They replaced the blind promptly at their cost, no arguments.

Recommended
    Garage doors
    Accesos Automaticos de Morelos
    Residencial "Las Americas" Costa Rica No. 3, Mza. 12, Lt.7, Sm. 57, Cancun, Quintana Roo
    (998)892-78-37, (998)840-14-45, 044 (998) 845-26-63
    Good quality products imported from the US: Martin Doors. After sales service not so good.

Avoid
    Carpenter
    Pedro Mazariego Hernandez
    C 54 MZA 53 LT 14-, REG 510, Cancun, Quintana Roo, CP 77534
    Kept our money for a month then told us he didn't have time to do the work. Then claimed he had no money to repay the deposit. We now have most of the deposit back since my wife confiscated his IFE card until he was all paid up.

Avoid at all costs
    Civil engineer
    Ricardo Jesus Rivero Caamal
    C 5 Sur X 70 y 75 Ave Sur LT 4, Col Ejidal, 77710, Solidaridad, Quintana Roo
    Claims to be a civil engineer but has no official registration. He is accused of commiting various frauds in the Cancun and Playa del Carmen areas. I'm unable to give specific details publicly as this is still subject to legal proceedings.

5. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dr. Scholl's Clinica del Pie
    Av. Kabah No. 110 Loc. 1
    Esquina con Coba

884-0115

10:30am-8:00pm
    Sabado 10:30 - 4:00pm

I've gone here for ingrown toenails. They fix it up real nice. In addition they also do clinical pedicures to make sure your cuticles and rough spots are all gone and taken away in a more medical sort of fashion. Basically, if you have a foot problem, ongos, ingrowns, etc. Go here. 200 pesos.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's a dentist I saw who is excellent. He speaks English very well and he's very gentle.

Dr. Mauricio Grassi
    American Smile Clinic
    Nance #17, SM 25
    tel: 887-4521
    cell: 044-998-154-5255

His attitude towards dentistry is very conservative, he only recommends work be done if it's absolutely necessary. I had a broken tooth which another dentist said needed a crown, but Mauricio was able to fix it with a resin filling. I recommend Mauricio highly.

HTH, Kim

7. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is the dentist expensive? I've got some dental work that I need done, but can't afford it. Dunno if my dentist is giving me the run around and just padding the bill cause he thinks I can pay it or not. But I was gonna look into getting the work done in Mexico if I could find a dentist that was cheap enough to do what I need.

Michelle

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Michelle - I don't know what expensive would mean to you. This clinic is cheaper than I paid in the US. A cleaning was $500 pesos and the tooth rebuild (large filling) was $700. Then I got a discount for being in the International Women's Club.

HTH, Kim

9. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  10. CancunRedheadgirl

CancunRedheadgirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Movin to Paradise

Hi all..

I am working on finishing up a degree in nursing and am planning on packing up the family, 2 kids an a hubby when I am done. We have visitied in Cancun for the past 9 years and love everything about it.

WOuld anyone be able to tell me how to get started? I have contacted various real estate offices in Cancun, but they are trying to sell me a beautiful beach front condo.. no real interested cuz this wont be my vaction home and lets be realistuc huh?... Im a poor college student at this point.. who has money for a beachfront? Is it possible to move there and live in a home that is more modest? I cant seem to get any info on the cost of homes that are not of the vacationers dream type.

This is what we are thinking.. decent home.. nice area.. will have to have school for the youngest.. he will be in about 1st grade when we get there.. I've been todl about the provate schools for American kids.. ok so how much is the tuition there? ? What can a person get, square foot wise, for about 150,000 American dollars? I understand the whole thing about not being able to own the land.. but what size home can I get for that money? Also, how do I find out about nursing licensing in MX???

Any help to get our process started would be great!
    :roll:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice