Local art and shipping charges

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by ChrisnCancun, Aug 11, 2008.

1. ChrisnCancun

ChrisnCancun Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am intrested in getting a Mexican oil painting when we visit Cancun in april of 2009 so that we can have a nice reminder of our trip. I figured the best thing to do would be to ship it back to the states. I was wondering are the shipping charges reasonible for smething like this or is there another way?

Also, can anyone recommend a good place to buy local art in cancun?

Thanks

Chris

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My suggestion would be to get one of those round shipping boxes, buy an unframed piece, roll it and carry it on. I would not recommend shipping anything of value that would be hard to replace.

You can buy them here in Cancun at Office Max and Office Depot but you might want to bring one from the US to make sure as hard to find things are often out of stock here.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  4. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are looking for local fine art, I recommend the Trio Gallery which is located in Plaza La Isla. The co-owner and gallery manager, Andrew Colon, is very knowledgeable about local art and would love to show you around the gallery and tell all sorts of stories. The website is www.triogallery.com

Most places will pack and ship artwork for you. Just make sure that you get receipts, shipping confirmation and all that.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yep, I heard he really knows his Sh#t. :lol:

Sorry I just couldnt resist. :oops:

7. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :lol:

And yes he does know his 'shit' about the art in his gallery.

8. cancunandy

cancunandy Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Art in Cancun

nice to know my work is appreciated....now excuse me while I brush up on my s__t....

seriously, you all make it worth the while....and thanks for the compliments.

As for art in Cancun, there is a ton. I handle about 20 artists, but there are many more all around the area. A lot of the art available is not of the best quality material-wise, so check the work before you buy.

As for shipping, it is powerfully expensive. Shipping a 24 x 36 inch painting can cost upwards of $200 to the States from here. If you can roll it up and take it with you, it would more than likely cost less to have the canvas restretched once you get home.

If anyone has questions, you can find me thru here.

cheers,

Andrew

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice