Live Music

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by spradioman, Feb 14, 2008.

1. spradioman

spradioman Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's nothing better than hanging out soaking up some live music over a cocktail. Is there anywhere in the Cancun area known for live music?

I enjoy the club scene but would love to find a bar with a small outdoor area with some laid back music.

Any suggestions???

2. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great question, how about the downtown area too.
    Anyone??

3. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In the hotel zone, there are several places with live music. Hard Rock Cafe, Bulldog Cafe, Dady Rock, and Mexxtreme all have bands. I'm sure there are other places that have bands, but those are the only ones that came to mind immediately.

Downtown Cancun has plenty of live music as well. I actually prefer to see bands downtown because the bars are smaller. On Yaxchilan Avenue, you can see bands in Los Arcos (great food too!), and El Asador. There is also a place called El Chat (near El Parque de las Palapas) that has a band.

4. yobos

yobos Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not to be an idiot...but what is the typical cost to get into one of the clubs? Have only been to Cancun once (last year) and we happened to be there for St. Patty's day...we headed downtown to one of the clubs and had to pay over $40 for a cover charge. Is that a usual cover charge for the clubs? Not that we mind...just want to plan how much $$$ for a night out. Thanks for any input.

5. spradioman

spradioman Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My experience has been that the bigger clubs can charge up to that $40 range for admission. I think this usually includes some additional perks....as in all you can drink, a table etc. Not all the hot spots charge that however.

As far as the live music. Thanks for the input Susan in Cancun. Some of the bars you mentioned, specifically in the hotel zone, are kinda known for their big shows and party atmosphere. I'm not as familair with the other bars in the downtown area. Is this what you would recommend for some less glamerous....real music feel?

6. Walshlaw

Walshlaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pancho & Willie's next to Captains Cove has live music. Have dinner and then hit the club.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Going rate to get into clubs is normally $40 or so, but this will include all of your drinks until 3 or 4 am. I've never heard of a cover charge as high as $40 just for entrance alone.

8. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If I'm reading the intent of your post correctly, your NOT looking for the "nightclub" type of place. Your looking for something a bit more mellow where you can go, hear some live music & hold a conversation with the one your with as the band plays in the background.

There are many of them in Playa del Carmen, but I'm not familiar with the ones in Cancun. A local would have to list them....hopefully, along with the type of music that is played at each.

Michelle

9. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    music

Spradioman,

Yes, the bars in downtown Cancun are probably more of what you are looking for.....just a place to relax and listen to music. They are just open-air restaurants that turn into more of a bar atmosphere at night. The band in El Asador is the best local band, by far, in my opinion. You will, most likely, be one of the only foreigners in the downtown bars. Brush up on your Spanish before you head downtown.

There is no cover charge at any of the downtown places I mentioned (or at Hard Rock Cafe in the hotel zone. I've never been to Mexxtreme or Pancho & Willy's so don't know if they charge a cover).

All of the places I listed have bands that play rock music.

10. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks alot for the info Karen. My wife and I will be at Hotel Alux on Uxmal by the Bus depot soon, so that is great to know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice